Sad news about Wilko Johnson

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Sad news about Wilko Johnson

Post by kmlabs » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Ah, man... O_o

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ja ... nal-cancer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

NickW

Re: Sad news about Wilko Johnson

Post by NickW » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Yes indeed

But from all news available he's up for more gigs and recording. Way to go....

Powerslave
Tiny Terror

Post by Powerslave » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Just sat here watching some Dr Feelgood on YouTube, and noticed your post.

Terribly sad about Wilco, an absolute geezer and stunning (and often overlooked) guitarist.

I have nothing but respect for the guy, particularly as he is planning on getting out on the road one last time. I hope to get to see him.

He does it right!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm

What a terrible choice to have to make - live longer in poorer health, or shorter in better health.

The man has balls. Very sad indeed. :(
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Smart man. The reason there's no spokespeople for pancreatic cancer is, no one survives it. It's one of those symptomless cancers and it's usually only detected after it spreads... and then it's too late for treatment.

I've said, if I ever got it, I wouldn't seek treatment - I'd go buy a plane ticket.

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 pm

A long-term favourite and influential with his economical left hand, thumb over the top, damped, solid rhythm style.

Proper bloke - have a fantastic touring season Wilko! Hope you stick around for a while yet me old mucker.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah thats nasty bad news. Feel for him, and respect his tough decision.

[OT] (but sort of not...)
I used to gig very regularly with a great ex drummer of his - from his post Feelgood 'Solid Senders' line up. Alan Platt was another fantastic bloke though I believe they weren't on best terms at the end - never said why which I suppose meant it was probably just something stupid like money, so often is...

Terrific drummer though, total pro and a great entertainer with it. Not so many drummers are able to spontaneously change the whole direction of a song from the back, live and totally unrehearsed - so no visual cues. But this guy Alan did that regularly, steering the whole band in a whole new direction totally on the spur of the moment. He was in the driving seat as much as any of us ever were, probably more to be honest once the song had started. We were very much a 'jamming' sort of band, in that we never played songs the same way twice. (Which is exactly how often we ever rehearsed - twice I mean.) He was often able to change things with just a subtle shift of beat, something he showed me that Charlie Watts is a master of. (Alan actually got me into the Stones - through the drumming! Before then I'd not really paid them too much attention! :shock:) And fortunately we very quickly got pretty much telepathic about doing that stuff so with me on board too the other guys had to follow. :lol:

Made for plenty interesting times, and we did some really fun gigs. A great memory was the first time we played what turned into a semi - regular pub gig in Fife. At one point he pulled us right down - dead quiet - always a great way to grab an audience's attention by surprise. Surprised us too when we started hearing strange wooden sounds from behind us. He'd spotted the dart board above his head, closed it's wooden cabinet doors, and was now using them as part of his kit - brilliant! Ever seen a drummer do a solo behind his head on a wooden darts cabinet? It was very good - the crowd loved it, and it became a regular thing there!

Also did some recording with him. (Nothing commercial, just very good fun.) Never ever saw him having to do a second take in the studio though. He'd just nail it first time, every time - done! I have a copy of a cassette demo he did with another band. Before a gig one time he just set up early and recorded the drums to all the songs - sraight through, live, and totally unaccompanied. That is seriously amazing stuff! They put the rest down in a home studio later. Sounded great!

He once very nearly lost it in the studio by going off on a real 'timing tangent' which probably took him 8 or 12 bars to recover. Or 9 or 15, I've genuinely no idea, I've never analysed it that way because it was a total feel thing anyway. Whatever, it was pretty wild and an amazing recovery catch. Unfortunately for me though I then immediately had to put a bass part to what he'd just done. Mainly because it was so off the wall brilliant that losing it wasn't an option. :lol: That bit did take me two (maybe three) takes to sync to and get through, but the end result was probably the most inspired bit of bass playing I've ever recorded. And all credit to him for inspiring it. These are the sort of guys you really want to play with, or even just to see playing. It is just so much fun!

Sadly Alan died a few years ago. Stupid and tragic thing, he tripped on the street (apparently not under the influence, just a random accident) and hit his head on a kerb stone. Died a few days later. Still miss playing with him, that was always just tremendous. One of the best drummers you could ever hope to meet, even with just a small kit. Or a dartboard.
[/OT]

That is very sad news about Wilko. If he comes anywhere much nearer to here than France that'll probably drag me out. Class player, going to miss that madness!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm actually working in Southend at the moment, his home town (well, he's from Canvey Island, a couple of minutes up the road).

I very much hope I get to to see him - I have to admit, being the metalhead I am, I only know some of his stuff; but I do know that I love his playing and he's the only guitarist I've ever seen and absolutely had to find out who it was, I was that blown away.

I'm with Billy on this; if it's untreatable then get on that plane and do what you can with what you've got left.
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Sad. He's one of my favourite rythm/lead-at the same time-guitarrists

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:49 pm

Talk about a positive attitude though...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21187740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:36 pm

a.hun wrote:Talk about a positive attitude though...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21187740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
wow

tdemarre
Rocker

Post by tdemarre » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Looking forward too supporting the tour. Sad news.
Egnater M4
Orange Cr120
Roland JC40
PC112 x 2 both Vintage 30s
Peavey 4 x 12 (Vintage 30s & g12k85)
Patrick Eggle LA Pro