6v6 in a rocker 30?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

conundrum

Post by conundrum » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:09 am

Is it possible to run 6v6's in the rocker 30, providing of course that they can handle the plate voltages? Both tubes should have around the same cathode bias resistor value right?

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:03 am

Damn, can't get back to Orange Hime from here to check what the tube complment is- WEBMASTER? MODERTOR? (Changes need to be made...)

If it's Ocatal and EL34 then there won't be a problem with filament current. Bias may be a problem as the EL34 and 6V6 are completely different in grid bias requirements.

If you want to try this go with a matched pair of JJ 6V6S or whatever label your dealer is selling them as.

-Jon

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:04 am

It is a 2xEL34 amp. Why do you fancy changing it from design spec conundrum?

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:22 pm

I think it would be inappropriate to advise on this.
I suggest you give Adrian Emsley a call and ask his advice on your proposal.
It will depend on the existing bias arrangements on the EL34's and the quiescent operating point designed into the Rocker 30.

Do you know, or have you measured, the plate voltage on the existing EL34's?

Do you know, or have you measured, the quiescent operating point of the existing EL34's?

What is the existing cathode bias resistor value? ... and what is the voltage on the grid on the existing EL34's?

Cheers
Brian

conundrum

Post by conundrum » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy H.</i>
<br />It is a 2xEL34 amp. Why do you fancy changing it from design spec conundrum?

Andy.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I have a pair of RCA grey plates and I'd just like to see how it sounds. I just vaugely remember someone saying that 6v6's had around the same bias requirments as EL34's

Ade Emsley
Forum Admin

Post by Ade Emsley » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:13 pm

The plate voltage is fine! However,if you want to try 6V6`s in a Rocker 30, you need to run them into an 8K load! The Rocker 30 has a 4K load which will become an 8K load if you use the 8 ohm jack to run a 16 ohm speaker! This amp also has 2 cathode bias resistors, one 270 ohm and one 330 ohm, wired in parallel. You need to remove one of these resistors when using 6V6`s in this amp! If you remove the 330 ohm, the amp will be running in really deep class A and on the hot side. If you remove the 270 ohm, the amp will run a little cooler and you nice little RCA`s will last longer! Also, two 6V6`s will only make around 15 to 20 watts in class A so you will have turned your Rocker 30 into a Rocker 15!
If thats what you want, then give it a try!

Ade Emsley
Orange Amps

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:59 pm

There you go - an officially sanctioned R.30 mod for 6V6s!
Excellent. Thanks for that Ade! 8)8)8)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:07 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ade Emsley</i>
<br />The plate voltage is fine! However,if you want to try 6V6`s in a Rocker 30, you need to run them into an 8K load! The Rocker 30 has a 4K load which will become an 8K load if you use the 8 ohm jack to run a 16 ohm speaker! This amp also has 2 cathode bias resistors, one 270 ohm and one 330 ohm, wired in parallel. You need to remove one of these resistors when using 6V6`s in this amp! If you remove the 330 ohm, the amp will be running in really deep class A and on the hot side. If you remove the 270 ohm, the amp will run a little cooler and you nice little RCA`s will last longer! Also, two 6V6`s will only make around 15 to 20 watts in class A so you will have turned your Rocker 30 into a Rocker 15!
If thats what you want, then give it a try!

Ade Emsley
Orange Amps
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What about using 6V6's in the Rockerverb 100?

I've heard it can be done in most Marshalls, but I don;t have the gall to do it without someone knowing more than "it works in X amp, so it might in yours"

Thanks Ade!

johnnythunders

Post by johnnythunders » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:48 pm

Guy selling a Rocker 30 on ebay says it came from the factory with 6v6s? Any truth to that?

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:56 am

No truth in that.

He probably hadn't actually looked inside the amp. The Rockerverb 50W runs 6V6s in the power section - maybe he saw that on the Orange site and just assumed?
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

johnnythunders

Post by johnnythunders » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:11 pm

No he said the back said EL34, inside had 6v6 and he said he called some at Orange named Gram and they said it came that way from the factory. I saw a post on here from someone from Orange that said it it possible but he didn't say that they come from the factory like that. I'm getting the serila number and going to call the factory. Someone else said on her that they make mistakes sometime and put the wrong tubes in.

johnnythunders

Post by johnnythunders » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:30 am

Ok so he sends me email giving me the phone number of Orange US and the serial number, then another one saying he called the factory and in fact it is a mistake and he should immediately put in el34 so he puppled the EBay ad and offers the amp to me? I said no thanks!