True bypass box /true bypass loop pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Has anyone tried using simple true bypass loop pedals on their board?

I'm tempted to put my drive/big muff in a bypass loop so I can crash between clean and my absolute heaviest tones with one click. Most of the time I'd use it just to go between clean and dirty, but sometimes I need to switch on dirty+fuzz for example.

Do they suck tone or pop? I'm looking at a simple passive box, the cheapish ones you see on ebay etc.

Thanks!
Last edited by danbond on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Trur bypass box /true bypass loop pedal

Post by Jondog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Iuse a double loop true bypass switch. I have two fuzz pedals in one loop and two overdrive/distortion in the other. I added a third switch for my channel select on my amp so I can control all my drive sounds with one tap. Use quality components and good wiring, pops aren't an issue

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I have a Keeley Looper pedal that I use to isolate my non true bypass pedals from my signal chain. Specifically I have my A/DA Flanger in the looper. I love the sound of the pedal but it's not a true bypass pedal. This way I don't muck up my tone.
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 am

do you mean those saturn works bypass loopers? I have been curious about those

danbond
Orange Expert

Re: True bypass box /true bypass loop pedal

Post by danbond » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:01 am

Yeah I was actually looking at the Saturn Works ones. I like the super simple ones (I tend to stamp hard, so something simple and unbreakable is best!) but this looks really cool - basically everything I want, plus some weird oscillating noisy stuff...which I might want sometime in the future.

The feedback loop pedal provides dual functionality. Without the toggle switch activated it functions as a normal true bypass loop pedal, utilizing a special switch that allows you to isolate and bypass effects pedals that are not true bypass in order to preserve the guitar's original tone, or switch on/off groups of pedals at once. With the toggle switch activated things can get crazy. The feedback function of the looper is designed to send the output signal back to the loop's input through a potentiometer. This can produce some some very interesting results, ranging from oscillating, growling, chirping sounds, to flat out noise, to nothing. The key to the feedback looper is experimentation. Some pedals can produce great results while some have little to no effect at all. You can also try various combinations of pedals. Your pickups and pickup selector position as well as your volume and tone controls can also have a tremendous effect on the sound produced. The pedal's control knob determines the amount of feedback being sent back to the input. Sometimes you may need to turn it all the way up while other times you may find a sweet spot with the level turned low. If making a lot of complex noise is something you're into, then look no further. The feedback pedal provides a strange sonic landscape and you never know what you're going to get.

This bypass loop pedal is hand crafted with quality components including Neutrik jacks, a rugged Hammond-type die cast aluminum case with a cool hypnotic graphic, and a semigloss clear coat finish. This pedal features an LED that can be run on either a 9V adapter (with a standard 2.1mm 'Boss' type plug) or a 9V battery (clip inside). The battery/adapter is only to power the LED; the bypass switch itself and the feedback control are totally passive and do not require an AC adapter or battery to function. At 4.5"x2.5"x1.25", this bypass looper is also very compact.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Yep, I use one for a similar reason like you describe. I need to switch channels and engage an OD pedal at the same time, or sometimes both an OD and delay in one stomp. Loop Master does them true bypass and they work well, have tons of different options, they're affordable and well built. The catch? very long wait times since they only build them after you order. You'll be waiting for around 3 months usually. I'm glad I have mine though, very useful!

http://www.loop-master.com/

Neiloler on this board also makes them himself if you want to try sending him a PM.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror