Need Input: Dark Terror versus #4 Jim Root Terror Shoot-out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Need Input: Dark Terror versus #4 Jim Root Terror Shoot-out

Post by alexauxier » Mon May 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi All,

It is obvious that we need to create a shoot-out video of these two amps to show their differences.

What would you like to see/hear?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Need Input: Dark Terror versus #4 Jim Root Terror Shoot-

Post by jason41224 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:47 pm

if i were to have it my way: no effects. no "band mixes". and as little pointy guitars as possible (though I realize that the demographic you're shooting for on this one would probably benefit from this last one). but still, some "normal" guitar clips would be nice to show the versatility of these amps, as i'm assuming the #4 in particular isn't just a "metal" amp.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon May 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Les Paul, straight in, at the very least. I say this because it'll likely please most demographics, though I would like to hear some single coil guitars too.

EQ them to sound the same. Then EQ them each to show strengths and especially differences. The way these amps ate marketed, it does make it look like the only difference is the full EQ vs shape control.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon May 14, 2012 8:39 pm

I would mirror jason41224 comments in that let each amp stand on it's own and I would like to see both humbucker AND single coil demos. Maybe a simple booster would be good for the demos as well. You'd probably want to showcase the loop for the Jim Root TT though. That's a big selling point.

Is Youtube stereo? If so then I would also say doing a band mix/guitar intro or guitar break with both amps tracked one panned left and one panned right. That way if someone wanted to do an immediate comparison they could switch from left to right quickly to see a direct comparison.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Mon May 14, 2012 9:25 pm

A 19th century style duel would be great!

I'd rather watch a professional producer performing this stunt.

JimmyOhio75
Rocker

Post by JimmyOhio75 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:06 pm

On paper the Dark Terror and Jim Root Terror look like the same amp. The only difference being a regular EQ section on the JR Terror. That being said the OR15 looks like nothing more than a Jim Root Terror stuffed into an Orange head shell. I think you should add the OR15 into this shoot out. I am hoping that the OR15 is simply a smaller, lower wattage verison of the OR50 but I don't think this is the case.
http://www.reverbnation.com/hawkinshill
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe 2012
Gibson Les Paul Junior Special 2009
Orange Dual Terror
Burnham 2x12 (WGS Reaper/Retro)

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:Les Paul, straight in, at the very least. I say this because it'll likely please most demographics, though I would like to hear some single coil guitars too.

EQ them to sound the same. Then EQ them each to show strengths and especially differences. The way these amps ate marketed, it does make it look like the only difference is the full EQ vs shape control.
as soon as i typed that, i left for school and i thought about that too. yeah, honestly i'd like to see something like Ade's old demos (but with a Les Paul, Tele, Strat, maybe one other guitar). honestly those videos is what sold me on both of my amps.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 am

alexauxier wrote:Hi All,

It is obvious that we need to create a shoot-out video of these two amps to show their differences.

What would you like to see/hear?

Cheers,

Alex
OR15.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue May 15, 2012 12:12 am

jason41224 wrote:
indianDYsummer wrote:Les Paul, straight in, at the very least. I say this because it'll likely please most demographics, though I would like to hear some single coil guitars too.

as soon as i typed that, i left for school and i thought about that too. yeah, honestly i'd like to see something like Ade's old demos (but with a Les Paul, Tele, Strat, maybe one other guitar). honestly those videos is what sold me on both of my amps.
Yeah, I liked those old demos. Just a dude in a room playing some rock chords on the amp. Nothing fancy and no pointy guitars and metal riffage.

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Tue May 15, 2012 12:32 am

I would like to see you use a tubescreamer or a other overdrive pedal with the gain on 0 to tighten the low end on those amps when playing metal riffs.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 am

baytamusic wrote:
jason41224 wrote:

Yeah, I liked those old demos. Just a dude in a room playing some rock chords on the amp. Nothing fancy and no pointy guitars and metal riffage.
+1, those were great demos. They really captured the voicing of each amp!

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:42 am

I want a Wolfgang plugged into 2 Bad Monkeys.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue May 15, 2012 1:04 am

The Dark Terror should be axed.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 am

OU818 wrote:I want a Wolfgang plugged into 2 Bad Monkeys.
+69

I think it would be good to highlight whichever amp (presumably the JR #4) is more capable of traditional / classic tones and also take the opportunity to more clearly define the entire range of 15-watters relative to one another. A simple ad showing the "spectrum of Orange" might be a simpler way to do this, even if it's a slight oversimplification.

oranginator
Tiny Terror

Post by oranginator » Tue May 15, 2012 2:05 am

Dear Orange,

Please let me hear how the Dark Terror/TH-30 sounds like compared to the OR15 and Jim Root head by doing some basic chording at different gain intervals. Have you improved upon the Dark Terror/TH-30H's slight "modeling" sound and harsher/poorer dynamics with the new amps?

Do the OR15 and the Jim Root head finally sound like a "exceptional quality" Orange head, like the Rocker 30 or the AD30, or are they just another 4-stage, fizzy/harsh gain amps that are trying solely to appease to the metal crowd? A forum member recently checked and found that the TH-30H doesn't use the best of electronic components underneath the hood, so I'm not sure if its the quality of components or just that you're leaving behind the vintage amps?

Not trying to insult the TH-30 or the Dark Terror, but they are not legendary amps in any reasoning whatsoever. I actually really like my TH-30H due to its watt/shape versatility in sound and volume, but does that always have to come at a price? The OR15 on paper looks like it's the perfect amp for me. But the 4-stage gain thing scares me, because I am trying to replace my TH-30H with a "mini-sized" Rocker 30 (and not another TH-30) that can gladly take pedals, allow me to play at lower volumes, and have plenty of gain on tap. That is what we are all waiting for you to build.

Thanks.

ps- A member that just got done playing both the TH-30 and Rocker 30 together, and had to go clean up myself after playing the Rocker. And, also someone whose local Guitar Center gets hardly any of your amps, so I have to go by videos alone and take a gamble.

pss- I've never played on a Dark Terror, but I do own a TH-30. I am told they are practically the same with only minor differences.