Logo repo??

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mak

Logo repo??

Post by mak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 am

Hi does anyone know if the PPC 212 cab logo can be removed and repositioned/rotated so it is correct with cab sitting upright (vertical position).
Surely I can't be the only person on the planet to pay for the very desirable Orange livery-but want to stand the cab on it's end so it's not just garden gnomes and dust beetles who can hear the wonderful Orange sound??
Chrs
MAK

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Logo repo??

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:55 am

It will require some very careful work with a blow dryer or heat gun. It is adhered to the grill cloth with hot glue. You have to make sure not to heat too close or for too long, as the plastic logo could melt.

mak

Post by mak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:02 am

OK thanks for that
So has anyone actually done it?
Did the heat distort the grille?
Adrian and Co??
Chrs
MK

mak

Post by mak » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:10 am

OK- well let me reply to my own post and thanks to the previous reply.
Yes- you can remove it- with careful use of an old hotel plastic room key/credit card and a hairdryer.
Gently does it with the card prying the logo back and allowing some hot air behind the plastic- and it pops off quite nicely.
What you now see is a zig-zag of probably glue-gun melt which can be re-heated via hairdryer and re-fastened.
There are some barely visible tell-tale residue marks on the grille- could be removed with a sharp eye and blade. Eucalyptus oil doesn't melt the glue!!
Ade-why not use a black countersunk screw which would allow the logo to simply rotate and give the glue-guy a break??
MAK
Oh and BTW-it's quite a heavy bit of kit- but sounds big and solid-and rounder than my open back 2x12 with Alnico Blue dog and Greenback
But those black painted wooden skids (coupling??) C'mon guys!!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:06 pm

The big 'Orange' badge from my R.30 combo grille had to 'go south'. :wink:

Stupid to have them dead center on a 1x12 IMO as it limits your mic'ing possibilities...

Came off with a bit of care. Didn't use a hairdryer myself but that would probably have been the best way as otherwise you're more likely stretch / damage the grille. And yes you can carefuly pick out any stuborn bits of glue with a sharp blade.

So you aren't going to put the skids on the side then? :wink:

FWIW Orange have used these skids for many years. (Weren't always painted black). I think they are a great idea, especially on heads or combos as you can sit them on other amps or cabs with top handles which they straddle perfectly.

The 'acoustic coupling' thing with cabs is real. Raising them off the floor just a couple of inches by putting castors on instead will affect the bass end quite noticably. If you are always going to use it vertically (and aren't worried about the slight dent to resale value) I'd actually be tempted to relocate the skids both for protection and acoustic reasons. Its your cab though... :)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

mak

Post by mak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks for the reply,
I can see that where there is significant mechanical coupling between the cab and floor that acoustic coupling can occur eg wooden stage, but for the majority of other venues there is usually a (thick) carpet covering which I intuitively feel minimises the effect. Nonetheless, I take your point.
With the skids off, you can see where the black pinstripe stops so it all looks a bit untidy, so maybe I'll put 'em back on-but with the cab now on it's end, they don't do anything anyway
Cheers
MAK

clorox

Post by clorox » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 am

Hey a.hun, would you be interested in selling logo you've removed from your amp? I'm in the middle of restoring my 4x12 cab, but I'm missing both front badges.
Thanks,
clorox

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi clorox. Welcome to the forum!

Really sorry, going to have to disappoint - it has a new home already. Otherwise you'd have been most welcome to it for just the postage.

Best bet is to e-mail Orange photos of the cab which identify it as a real Orange cab, serial number included if at all possible. They may then (hopefully!) be willing to sell you new badges, but they won't do this without evidence as they don't want the Orange name plastered on any non Orange gear.
Oh and a phone call to alert them to the e-mail might help - they can sometimes be 'a little slow' to reply.

Then there is always e-bay I suppose. I don't know if the badges ever come up but it wouldn't surprise me.
Beware of the smaller all in one badges as on this 1x12 cab:

That would look lost on a 4x12!

Good luck with the restoration!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

clorox

Post by clorox » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 am

Hey Andy, thanks for quick reply as well as offer to send it if it wasn't already gone.

I am on the constant lookout for it on ebay, but no luck so far. I was thinking about contacting Orange, but got a bit discouraged by few posters from the other websites that claimed that they tried it but without any success. But I'll try it anyway and if it doesn't work, I'm thinking about finding some plastic workshop that could at least produce me a white square plate with black logo, but I'm not sure if they can do embossing.

Anyway, I know about smaller sized logos, thanks for warning. I was even thinking about buying used orange crush that even had separated badges but I realized that it would look ridiculously small on my cab.