Thunderverb 50 vs. Rockerverb 100- What's your take?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TheSpread

Thunderverb 50 vs. Rockerverb 100- What's your take?

Post by TheSpread » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Ok.
I've finally decided to take the plunge. I'm selling off my old gear, and I have got my choices narrowed down to a Rockerverb 100 or a Thunderverb 50.
I've played them both (as extensively as you can play them in a shop setting), and I'm pretty sure I'd have a blast with either. I heard a lot of talk about the Rockerverb (with good reason), and considerably less about the Thunderverb (probably because I don't know anyone personally who owns one).
So I figured, why not ask the experts?

I'll try to hit they high points that would affect the decision:

1) I've been playing JCM800's (mainly) for the past 8 or so years. That's pretty much my wheelhouse. I'm looking for more variety, but with a good, thick distortion base.
2) I mainly play punk influenced rock... think Rocket from the Crypt, the Explosion, etc. Loud rock tone, lots of downstrokes.
3) I like my "cleans" to still be a little dirty. I prefer the sound of a vintage clean tone to a sterile one.
4) I have no intention of tuning down any lower than D.
5) I like being able to back off the gain a bit for more of an AC/DC sound at times.
6) I've been running 50 watt heads for years and have always had plenty of power/volume.
7) Our second guitarist is going to be using a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. I can dial it in to compliment the 800 pretty nicely, and I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into our overall tone. [I would say this is the least of my concerns. If I have to guilt him into buying an Orange, the more the merrier]
8) Until I can scrape some extra cash together, it looks like I'm going to be playing through my old Marshall cabs (one standard 1960 slant, one with the vintage 30s).
9) I've been playing SGs and an occasional LesPaul for the past few years, but I've got some older Fenders as well.

I know, I know.
Pretty demanding for a new member, huh?
But I would greatly appreciate any insight or direction you guys can provide.

Thanks.

xenious
Orange Hero

Re: Thunderverb 50 vs. Rockerverb 100- What's your take?

Post by xenious » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 am

I'm going to be "that guy" and suggest that along with the two mentioned you check out an OR50 if you can find one around. I was after that one or a Thunderverb 50. No one had a TV but the local shop had an OR50. After a trial with my Les Paul it won. It fits a lot of the things you listed. I think you would find the RV100 a bit modern for what you are thinking of, but I'm sure other owners will disagree (there are a lot of em here too so you will get a solid opinion).
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 am

I'm going to second the OR50 suggestion. I have a RV100 and an OR50 at the moment, and the OR50 wins out in overall tone in my opinion. It has a much more vintage flavor that will do all of the old sabbath, zep, ac/dc, tones with ease, then it also has plenty of gain too, so it can get pretty over the top, add to it the defeatable master volume, so you can run this amp like a vintage db monster, and it's a really versatile single channel amp. It is also 50 watts. I think this amp would be the best current Orange that would give you the Orange flavor but still stay close to the JCM 800 ball park on crunchy distorted tones, and it is really dynamic too, so you back off your volume some and you get the slightly distorted AC/DC tone you're talking about. I also have a JCM 800, and the OR50 definitely has the Orange flavor as in more spongy and dark, but it still has the older vintage crunchiness too similar to the single channel marshalls.

Another Orange that would be good, that is somewhat Marshallesque would be the Rocker 30. I had a combo for awhile, but sold it because I needed the head, but then the OR50 was released so I got it instead. I'll be getting another Rocker 30 in due time, because I loved it. You say you don't like your cleans to be "too" clean, well the Rocker 30's has a dedicated switchable natural channel that has pretty good headroom, but at 30 watts it is easy to drive it to slight breakup and classic crunch....it's all output tube crunch too so it sounds awesome, then you can switch it over to the gain channel and it has plenty of gain on tap with great great sustain. It is not a metal amp, but it will do any type of hard rock you can throw at it.

I don't know anything about the TV firsthand, so can't comment on it, although the attenuator function seems nice.

I'd give em' all a go first, even if it meant delaying your purchase. But don't pass up trying the OR50 and Rocker 30 before you decide. As an 800 player, You'll be impressed.

As far as speakers go, I have yet to play any of my oranges through a box that sounded bad. They really go well with just about any configuration in my opinion. They are not voiced as bright as a lot of other amps, so the harshness you sometimes get with some configs is not there. imho.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:35 am

If i could choose an orange amp all over again i'd prob go with somehthing rated at 50 watts rather than the 100 as i did. Having said that tho i still love the RV100 (and i'd want to after going to the bother of getting one :) ) the only problem with it is that im never gonna get to hear a tube overdrive from it without killing peoples ears unless i end up playing a stadium or something (and that doesnt look all that likely lol)

the upside is that i have clean headroom up to my eyeballs and it handy for playing funk and what not and there is so much pre-amp gain on tap that i can cover my bases with that. I have found it to be a tempremental amp, not liking certain tubes and being expensive to get re-tubed and serviced and other little niggles but all is sorted now and it does sound real good. at this stage (2 years now) if i didnt think it was worth the frustrations and cost i would have sold it.

if you do end up getting one i would recommend good tubes (winged C Svetlana or JJ) my amp doesnt like EHX or China in general.

I Have not played the TV 50 or the RV 50 tho the latter is probably the most owned amp on this forum either that or the AD30

hope you make the decision thats right for you

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:12 am

I much preferred the RV100 to the thunderverb 50 when I tried them side by side - however, they are very different beasts.

The RV amps can do AC DC tones, but not as well as other amp, they are more modern voiced.
Not too sure abouthe the TV (it's been a long time since I tried it), but both of it's channels can be dirty if you like your cleans not too clean, that might be a good thing.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:41 pm

I can't offer a lot to the RV vs TV argument, but I can say this:

In the metal band I used to be in, my RV50 sat perfectly in the mix with the other guitarist's Marshall. He sounded trebly and crisp, and I sounded middy and dark, we never stepped on each other's toes :)
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

TheSpread

Post by TheSpread » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:08 pm

You guys have been a great help.

I'm going to try to spend a little quality time with both options this weekend, and hopefully I can make up my mind.

Luckily, I don't think there's a BAD choice between the two.

Thanks for the insight!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 pm

TheSpread wrote:You guys have been a great help.

I'm going to try to spend a little quality time with both options this weekend, and hopefully I can make up my mind.

Luckily, I don't think there's a BAD choice between the two.

Thanks for the insight!
that's exactly right! There are no bad choices with any of these amps. They're all really good. I think musicians are just really picky and we make these choices a lot harder than they have to be. But, it is a lot of money, so you do want to be sure that you'll get along with the amp you choose.

Good luck man, and let us know which one you go with.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Spratty59
Tiny Terror

Post by Spratty59 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:35 pm

You have to let us know what you went with, Im intrigued!
And im sure others are too!
Rockerverb50
Orange 2x12
Fender American Tele w/ SeymoreDuncan JB humbucker in the neck!

TheSpread

Post by TheSpread » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:01 pm

I've decided to go with the Thunderverb.

I should be picking it up next week. I spent a while at the store yesterday, going back and forth between the TV50, the RV100, and (based on the suggestions here) an OR50.

I LOVED the OR50. Great tone. If I was going to get a single channel amp, this would be the one. I decided I need to go with a two channel amp, just to have more options than the JCM 800 2204 and 2203 I have been playing. Plus, the only one they had was already sold.

I enjoyed the RV100. I also played the RV50 for a while. If I was to go for a Rockerverb, it would probably be the RV100, just because of the tube options. I dug the sound of both of the amps, but it didn't feel as natural to me as the Thunderverb did. It's hard to explain. I ended up playing on the clean channel more than I expected, which suprised me, too.

The Thunderverb just nailed the sounds I was looking for. There's a huge range of tones between both channels. The clean, driven, and full out tones were great across the board, but different enough from each other that they each have their own identity. The versatility the Thunderverb will provide when recording pushed it to the front of the pack.

The only problem I have now, is that I've already started thinking about which Orange I want to pick up next.

I am very sick, indeed.

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 am

I knew you would love the OR50, but understand the need for 2 channels. Enjoy it! and hey, I've got 2 oranges and am looking for a 3rd, so if you're sick then I am near death!
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:39 am

TheSpread wrote:I've decided to go with the Thunderverb.

I should be picking it up next week. I spent a while at the store yesterday, going back and forth between the TV50, the RV100, and (based on the suggestions here) an OR50.

I LOVED the OR50. Great tone. If I was going to get a single channel amp, this would be the one. I decided I need to go with a two channel amp, just to have more options than the JCM 800 2204 and 2203 I have been playing. Plus, the only one they had was already sold.

I enjoyed the RV100. I also played the RV50 for a while. If I was to go for a Rockerverb, it would probably be the RV100, just because of the tube options. I dug the sound of both of the amps, but it didn't feel as natural to me as the Thunderverb did. It's hard to explain. I ended up playing on the clean channel more than I expected, which suprised me, too.

The Thunderverb just nailed the sounds I was looking for. There's a huge range of tones between both channels. The clean, driven, and full out tones were great across the board, but different enough from each other that they each have their own identity. The versatility the Thunderverb will provide when recording pushed it to the front of the pack.

The only problem I have now, is that I've already started thinking about which Orange I want to pick up next.

I am very sick, indeed.

Thanks again for all the help, guys.
how well does the TV react when using one channel for cleans at volume to be switchable to the other channel dirty?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

opaq

Post by opaq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm

i have a rockerverb 100 (in black) that i love however i do mostly studio stuff with it so I was thinking of swapping to a Thunderverb 50 as it has the attenuator built in. I would hate to get rid of the my 100 as I love the sound and would rather just add the TH50 :)

Help with this decision?!?

you can hear the rockerverb recorded on my latest disc which can be downloaded for free here. http://opaq.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see the style we use the orange for.

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:48 pm

opaq wrote:i have a rockerverb 100 (in black) that i love however i do mostly studio stuff with it so I was thinking of swapping to a Thunderverb 50 as it has the attenuator built in. I would hate to get rid of the my 100 as I love the sound and would rather just add the TH50 :)

Help with this decision?!?

you can hear the rockerverb recorded on my latest disc which can be downloaded for free here. http://opaq.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see the style we use the orange for.
wow! totally digging your stuff!! sounds great. who released the album?
I don't think you should swap, but you should definitely add the TV50 to your set up. use the TV for studio and both of them for gigs. Each through two 4x12 preferably. :D
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

opaq

Post by opaq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

wrath wrote:wow! totally digging your stuff!! sounds great. who released the album?
I don't think you should swap, but you should definitely add the TV50 to your set up. use the TV for studio and both of them for gigs. Each through two 4x12 preferably. :D
The singer/bassist and I recorded and released the disc ourselves, only way we can get stuff done!
Thanks for the input! You can download our first disc at http://www.opaqband.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; too....... the volume really isn't a huge deal as i can crank it to push the tubes for recording but for just jammin we don't really push the tubes, I haven't heard a TH50 in person and from what i read its more fuzzy, which i love but is it completely different than the rockerverb?