Open Back vs. Closed Back

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

blenk
Rocker

Open Back vs. Closed Back

Post by blenk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 pm

ok thers a £200 prices differance, but other than that what else is differant sound wise.

and would closing it my self not save me £200?
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

Drdos
Orange Master

Re: Open Back vs. Closed Back

Post by Drdos » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Actually I have tried both and don't like either. I prefer a cab that's half and half. Open on the top and closed on the bottom. Oh yeah you could just close the cab yourself and save money. Closed cabs give a darker, but more focused sound
Vince

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Drdos wrote:Actually I have tried both and don't like either. I prefer a cab that's half and half. Open on the top and closed on the bottom. Oh yeah you could just close the cab yourself and save money. Closed cabs give a darker, but more focused sound

so once closed of by myself it will act just like a closed one should, i was just confused at how they can charge that much more for a bit of wood and sexy orange tortex
blenk
Cheap Modded Strat

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:55 pm

blenk wrote:
Drdos wrote:Actually I have tried both and don't like either. I prefer a cab that's half and half. Open on the top and closed on the bottom. Oh yeah you could just close the cab yourself and save money. Closed cabs give a darker, but more focused sound

so once closed of by myself it will act just like a closed one should, i was just confused at how they can charge that much more for a bit of wood and sexy orange tortex
Yeah but that give you a dancing Bunny that cooks you breakfast... Didn't you know that..... hehe :mrgreen:
Vince

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Drdos wrote:
blenk wrote:

Yeah but that give you a dancing Bunny that cooks you breakfast... Didn't you know that..... hehe :mrgreen:

aw sh*t man i gots to get me one of those :lol:
blenk
Cheap Modded Strat

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:43 pm

talking general, open back is more open sounding and brighter i believe... and deffo less directional than closed back...

i opened the back of one of my ppc112's, and prefer it in my mini stack set up.. closed on the bottom..

talking about the orange ppc212 vs. ppc212ob...

the ob is smaller - same size as the combo's and is made in prc...

the closed back is uk made (maybe us made if got there?) and is bigger...

both sporting 2 vintage 30's...

so theres a few differences
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 pm

First I didn't get the shirt, now I didn't get the Bunny. What is going on here?

The closed cab is very punchy and directed. The open cab is much less directional and fills the room more with diffuse sound.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Borderline Productions wrote:First I didn't get the shirt, now I didn't get the Bunny. What is going on here?
Sounds like you didn't receive a the free nacho machine either!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is a sad day for you my friend. :cry: ............................... :lol:

MMMMMMMMMM....nachos!!!
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 pm

open back is def better if you can't always rely on a good PA/mix/monitors

price is Chinese vs UK labour.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:42 am

Open back cabs have a more open sound that's less directional in nature and a bit more midrange oriented. Lows aren't as full-bodied or tight, as there's no positive pressure in the enclosure to limit cone travel and tighten up bass response. Highs are a bit sweeter sounding for exactly that reason. Think open, airy, midrangy, and blooming.

Closed back cabs have better bass response that's tighter and more full bodied. Speaker dampening is more controlled due to the enclosed back and the low end is more apparent. On the other hand, they're more directional and less open sounding because the back is sealed up. Think focused, tight, rigid, and full-bodied.

It's not only personal preference, but it also depends on the amp you're using and how you're using it. Each has their own character traits, so to speak. And if we're being honest, societal preferences come into play. Most people wouldn't be accustomed to hearing a Vox AC-30 through a closed back 4x12, or a Dual Rectifier through an open backed 2x12. It's not to say those combinations don't sound good. But we get used to hearing certain combinations of components together.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:29 am

great thanks for the info
blenk
Cheap Modded Strat

Musicman20
Orange Hero

Post by Musicman20 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:29 am

I had the same choice a few months back before I ordered my PPC212 which is awaiting the Dual Terror to use with it.

I went with closed back for the following reasons:

I found my Fender Deville 4x10 too bright and open

The CB version is stilll available in Ltd Edition White to match the DT :P

I have been very impressed by the UK manufactured bass and guitar cabs from Orange. All built extremely well, with attention to detail. Yes, they weigh a fair bit, but the thickness of the wood seems to help with that dark Orange sound.

On the forums I use in the UK, If I ever wanted to selll it on, the CB/UK made would sell a little better. So better resale value, for me anyway.

I often find you get what you pay for. Pay a little extra, get what you want.

Closed back cabs seem to be used by most of the bands I listen to, including the bands that use Orange cabs.

I wanted a more focussed, tight, and 'heavy' sound, even though I won't be playing really heavy music. I use a USA Tele, and as much as I love how snappy and bright it is, its always nice to give it a little bit more ommpph in the low end and add a little darkness to it.

Don't get me wrong, OB cabs are great, and certain amps as mentioned above just sound correct open, (or half open) but I wanted a setup that was just a bit bigger than a combo, all Orange, that had that low end thump. My Fender combo was great for cystal clean sounds, but sometimes the sound just got lost.
Bass: Orange AD200b Mk3 - Orange OBC410 - Orange OBC115

Guitar: Orange Dual Terror - Orange PPC212 Closed Back (Ltd Edition 2009 White)

BornUnderBadSign
Tiny Terror

Post by BornUnderBadSign » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD5KD4lC ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Closed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qvEKO8d2CE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Open

I couldn't find two comparable high gain clips but the differences between the CB and OB cabs are really apparent with the gain above 1 o'clock. Personally, the CB cab becomes too dark for my tastes... it's all a matter of preference.

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:49 pm

neonrust wrote:
Borderline Productions wrote:First I didn't get the shirt, now I didn't get the Bunny. What is going on here?
Sounds like you didn't receive a the free nacho machine either!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is a sad day for you my friend. :cry: ............................... :lol:

MMMMMMMMMM....nachos!!!
Hey man I got the Bunny but not the Nacho machine WTH! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen:
Vince

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:52 pm

I’ve never played an open back cabinet per se, but the only time I tried a RV50 I didn’t like it was the combo “open back” version.
I found it did sound very different in the format compared to head + ppc212 or ppc412 closed back.

I took a closed back PPC 212 back home to ge with the head. Fantastic cabinet.
If you find the bass a bit to boomy, you can still tame it down, however you wont’ be able to add that boomyness on an OB.

1 more thing to consider: Matamp do their cabs with 3 back panels I believe. So you can have it closed back, opened back, partially opened back….

http://www.matamp.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Call or email them, they’ll let you know what they can do & prices.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute