Crush 10 Problem...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mr worm

Post by mr worm » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Hello, my name is Simon and I am a new user.

Hoping someone here can help me... I have a Crush 10 amp and have been happily playing it in my bedroom for about a year. Yesterday it died. Doesn't make a sound when I turn it on, though I can hear a muffled hiss, though not how it should sound. Sometimes you can hear the guitar through it, though it distorts like mad and cuts out now and again. It also produces horrendous feedback when turned up high, though with no guitar or cable plugged in.

Oh yeah, the Gain 2 dial makes a "swooshing" type noise now.

I know it's not a very good amp and doen't cost loads, but I really could do without buying a new amp right now!! Any help you could would be greatly appreciated!

zeppelin450
Orange Expert

Post by zeppelin450 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Well, I suppose I'd assume it was a transistor problem. Even though the reliability of transistors is the reason they're around today, they still fail from time to time. If the amp is under warranty, I highly recommend taking it in and cashing in on that. Because transistors are harder to remove/work on than tubes, it may be an outrageous bill if you don't go with the warranty. I know that you said you can't afford to get a new amp right now, but if this amp is toasted, you might be better off doing that than spending loads of dough on fixing it. The last transistor amp I owned was a Crate GLX120 120 watt. It did a similar thing, but I just didn't even want to fix it. I took it back to the store from which I bought it and returned it. They gave me my money back, I saved up another hundred dollars, and bought my first tube amp: a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40 watt combo. It was SO much better than the crate, and even though it had only a third of the wattage, it was easily louder. With the Crush 10, you might not be able to do that, but I still suggest you try to use the warranty. Chances are, they won't bother fixing the amp, they'll just send you a new one. Good luck with this problem!

kupervaser

Post by kupervaser » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 pm

Hello mr. worm.
I was wondering whether you managed to fix your orange crush. Mine just broke down as well. I am looking for a schematic for it.
Jeff

hansande

Post by hansande » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Yep, I'm interested too - exact same problem.
Anyone know what this is?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Whoops, we hear almost NOTHING from Crush owners for ages and then two come along with apparently similar problems.

Sorry to hear it guys. Also sorry to say you'll probably get very little useful info here. 99.8% of the posts here are about valve amps and very few of us know <i>anything</i> about the transistor Crush series amps. I certainly don't.

I'd actually suggest contacting Orange themselves. You <i>can</i> try e-mail, but that often doesn't work fast (if at all.) Best really to phone.

Sorry again not to be able to help more! :oops:

aNDyH. :)
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:39 am

The only thing i can suggest is take the thing apart and check the circuit boards look for any damage, and then replace the part. If your not sure what it is its quite a simple circuit so upload a photo of it and we may be able to help you!

hansande

Post by hansande » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Heeey.
I didn't expect that quick and kind response to my, rather harsh, comment yesterday. Great that someone actually reads this in the middle of the night.:-)
Well, anyway, it's a waste of resource just to let this nice little device go to the city dump. I know it sounds great, when working, and it's brand new. I bought this abroad and lost my warranty - the way things go :-( However, I disassembled it and found a big lump of solder connecting to paths on the PCB, just where I put a mark, which I removed, but no improvement. I know this isn't exactly rocket science, but it does reach beyond my knowledge to figure out what just might have happened. As far as I can see, one of the connection goes to a leg of a component fitted on the cooling device marked 2030A. Is that a transistor? In that case, could it possibly be blown or whatever those things do? If so, that one could easely be replaced - know where to buy one, and is the figure the name of the thing?
And the gain 1 pot is scratching awfully - any suggestions for a proper replacement of this chineese crap?

Orange is catching the eye, and ears too, so I am a little disappointed, me, having several valve amps and building a collection of practice amps (handy having them for domestic jam-sessions), I would certainly appreciate that someone might be able to help me, and several others I understand, on this matter.
Please check the photos I've uploaded here - hope they are helpfull.
Thanks again, and please accept my apology for being a just a little bitter.
Regards, Hans

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C8 ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/N1 ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G- ... directlink

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 am

No idea im afraid, the solder joint wouldnt have just crapped out like than unless it got REALLY hot. Erm without a test rig and a multimeter i dont think your going to find the issue im afraid.

I think you may have to talk to a tech, or im afraid get a new one :x

kupervaser

Post by kupervaser » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Hello. I too had a broken crush but i managed to fix it. Handsande, i looked at your pictures. Check with a multimeter whether those traces connect with each other. I noticed that mine crush is totally different. I have a JRC4558 opamp at the input. That was also the problem. When i swapped the opamp my amp started to work again. I found the problem with the audioprobe and another amplifire. I checked whether there was sound on the input of the JRC and there was, and then i checked whether there was sound on the output and there wasn't.
Read here how to make an audioprobe:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index ... =Debugging

Don't bother contacting Orange, they don't have the schematic. They told me these things are being assempled in China and the practically have nothing to do with it.

Anyway trace the circuit with the audioprobe, i am sure it's not a big proble you have, oh and first of all examine the pcb for some brown spots in case a component have overheated. Good luck and let me know if you had any luck.
Jeff

kupervaser

Post by kupervaser » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Correction, i see that i am mistaken, it is the same circuit. The opamp is behind the inpun which is not visible on the picture.