Tiny Terror - Loud enough to gig with ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fastboy

Post by fastboy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:51 am

Hi All,

Just wondered, now that I am a confirmed Orange user and all my Marshall gear is on the way out the door, would a tiny terror be loud enought to use as a backup for my main rig?

I play in a loud 5 piece female fronted rock band and my main rig would consist of a Rockerverb 50C + an open back Orange 2x12 which would effectively give me a 4x12 to plug the tiny terror into should I need it.

To give a rough idea, when gigging, I run the channel volumes on the RV50C around 3 or 4 without an extension cab.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:07 pm

A lot of people in here will tell you that it is loud enough, others will tell you that it's not. There's different factors to look at. One would be, do you need loud cleans? If so, the TT may not be suitable. Do you typically mic up when playing shows? It may help if you do if your band is THAT loud. The only way to really know would probably be to buy it and just return it if it isn't loud enough. But if you play loud mid/heavy-gain stuff, I think you'll be fine.

Do you have any links that include your music? I'd like to hear it. I'm the guitarist in a 5 piece female fronted band myself. (link below)
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

fastboy

Post by fastboy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:34 pm

I mainly play mid / heavy gain stuff and on a single channel amp would just roll off the volume for a cleaner sound. As it's all rock we play I can get away with an overdriven clean sound. I'm probably going to give one a try at the store later when I go down to pick up my Orange PPC212 OB :D

It's all covers but you're welcome to have a look and a listen (excuse the ropey recordings on there at the moment - all made during a rehearsal in a warehouse). There's some new proper recordings going on on the next 1 - 2 weeks which I am mixing down at the moment.

www.hollowsofvenus.co.uk

All guitars tracks were recorderd with a marshall :?

I'm Ryan in case you wonder.

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:48 pm

I think the TT would work for you. I play in a loud 5 piece band and it works very well for me.:) Welcome
oops forgot to say that I do mic my cab..
Vince

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm not sure it will be ok (unless you mic, in which case its the most suitable amp)

Mine is REALLY loud, but with a bassist and other instruments to contend with, it could get lost in the mix. Clean, definitely not loud enough for a 5 piece I would say. With enough gain to cut through, you may find yourself with a dirtier sound than you want, and even though its awesome gain, it might sound muddy. You'll want single coils to even have a hope of getting a loud clean sound, but i don't think it will cut it really. Others will disagree, but you will find yourself sonically limited to a high gain sound i think.

For the money for a TT and 1x12 you are well on the way to a Rocker 30, which will definitely be fine. You could even think about a Vox AC15, which whilst being the same wattage, is a cleaner sound, so with a pedal you could have some more options.

Rocker 30 though - i doubt you would regret it.

merlhagstrom
Orange Hero

Post by merlhagstrom » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Mine is plenty loud in practice, plenty loud when mic'd --obviously. Plently loud for small club with no pa, not loud enough in huge club with crap pa(pa not used to mic instuments just vocals)
As with everyone I got say, we are pretty loud, and I keep up fine. I have ofcourse bought a THUNDERVERB for those instances where the TT wont get the love it deserves, then they gut beaten by the THUNDERVERB. Good luck.
THUNDERVERBER FOR LIFE

Dign'my new TT Still the best bang --EVER

No Pedals

Former Marshall addict..

http://www.myspace.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1239257924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://soundcloud.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kaboomtoys

Post by kaboomtoys » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Hey Merl, what are you using, a 112 or 212 or 412?

thanx,
Tracy

merlhagstrom
Orange Hero

Post by merlhagstrom » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:20 pm

I use a Marshall 2x12 with 2 Greenback 25 watters.
THUNDERVERBER FOR LIFE

Dign'my new TT Still the best bang --EVER

No Pedals

Former Marshall addict..

http://www.myspace.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1239257924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://soundcloud.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UserName
Orange Hero

Post by UserName » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:31 pm

hey merl, i think your account is hacked or somthing
casue you just sent me an email asking about the TT and blackheart.

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:04 pm

This might help. Rob Chappers playing demos live with Drums and Bass. He uses a Thunderverb and a Rockerverb and skip ahead to 5:15 and see the Tiny Terror. He is probably using very efficient speakers, (such a the V30, but it seems to keep up fine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PHqs4zBAc

Jack
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

guitarchild
Rocker

Post by guitarchild » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:19 pm

As I've said many times.....The TT will definitely be loud enough. I play in a 5 piece band with a loud drummer. I never have to turn my amp past 5, and I don't use a lot of gain either, maybe 4 or 5. I have plenty of room to go. Try one for yourself, but unless you want loud Fender type cleans, you will be good to go.

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm gonna be the nay sayer...no, a TT will not keep up with a LOUD rock band. My AD30 wouldn't keep up with the my former drummer.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

Guitar-Sam
Orange Hero

Post by Guitar-Sam » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:53 pm

I sold my Marshall Jubilee right after I bought mine,the TT so imbarresingly blew it away I canned it to the ebay wolves.
I allways mic up and I've played 800 seat venues with mine with no problems and my volume stays on 4 no matter what(were I like the tone),recording studio,bar room,theatre,outdoors etc....
The SM-57 is the perfect compliment to the TT IMO.;)You can allways mic up low volume GOOD tone,but you can't allways get good tone outta a loud amp.....Damn thats like a chinese proverb.:D

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Janglin_Jack</i>
<br />This might help. Rob Chappers playing demos live with Drums and Bass. He uses a Thunderverb and a Rockerverb and skip ahead to 5:15 and see the Tiny Terror. He is probably using very efficient speakers, (such a the V30, but it seems to keep up fine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PHqs4zBAc

Jack
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Good example Jack...
Vince

fastboy

Post by fastboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks guys for all the comments, I'm going to give the Tint Terror a go.

As for speakers, it will be being run through 2 Orange open back cabs running V30's so effectively going through a 4x12 and I can always mic it up to the PA if required.

I just love the idea of not having to lug another large amp or head around with me as backup.