Run vintage OR120 as OR80 permanently - safe?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

skylark

Re: Run vintage OR120 as OR80 permanently - safe?

Post by skylark » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:09 pm

A really nice amp stack! :)

I don't have a DR103, but a 504 and even though it is "only" 50w it has power, punch, clarity and headroom that by far exceed any other amp i have played. Until the DR504 i thought that a BF super reverb is a very punchy amp :D

At some point i want to do some quality comparisons of all the popular vintage amps - am curious myself and i am sure many other people would find some use for that too.

I also have a 63 copper top with panel integrated top boost, but inside it is a bit of a rats nest and i am scared to turn it on and burn anytrhing beyound repair - still gathering some vintage correct parts and it will be sent to my tech as soon as possible - then i want to make a comparison of all amps i have. But yes, i am sure that none of them is even remotely versatile as the Orange - a very nice surprize.

Btw. i was talking only about a JTM45/100 - the later Marshalls are gradually less smooth and more agressive, but to me it seems that the Orange has loads potential in that regard too - it can be set for a nasty bright and edgy tone if needed.

Will post something in the clips section as soon as i have something halfway decent.

skylark

Post by skylark » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:10 pm

I still got one question though - would the extra 2 valves (a full quad) increase the OR120's headroom noticeably? I almost have the impression, judging by the very early breakup, that probably not, as it seems to be the case that the preamp is very gainy. THis is an amp that would really benefit from a Master volume i presume - especially for the cleans.

Oh, and i love compression in tube amps and i am really positively surprized that the OR120 compresses so much, even at low gain settings (therefore it has a very nice clean tone that already compresses a bit) - where does this amount of compression come from?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:53 pm

skylark wrote:I still got one question though - would the extra 2 valves (a full quad) increase the OR120's headroom noticeably? I almost have the impression, judging by the very early breakup, that probably not, as it seems to be the case that the preamp is very gainy. THis is an amp that would really benefit from a Master volume i presume - especially for the cleans.

Oh, and i love compression in tube amps and i am really positively surprized that the OR120 compresses so much, even at low gain settings (therefore it has a very nice clean tone that already compresses a bit) - where does this amount of compression come from?
Actually I find that the OR120, while basically a dirty rock amp with a very abrupt transition to distortion, is a very uncompressed amp. :shock: Extremely so in fact!!!
Distortion and compression do usually go hand in hand, but don't have to nearly as much as is usually the case. Vintage Oranges were one of the big exceptions to the normal rule I'd say.
(Having said that I've usually used it for bass, so deliberately fitted power valves with very late to distort ratings. If yours are much earlier distorting I can understand you thinking that and it'd also be a lot more forgiving to play.)

What I mean here by uncompressed is that these amps have a huge dynamic range, giving a much bigger dynamic response (from quiet to LOUD) to your picking than most amps ever will. Pick harder, clean or distorted, and they get noticeably louder. Much more compressed amps tend to distort more when you pick harder but without getting all that much louder.
Taken the other way round if you let a loud note or chord decay naturally you'll get much more sustain with a compressed amp. Uncompressed amps like the old ORs have much less natural sustain, the volume drops off quickly as the string vibrations die away. Listen to old Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac say and you'll hear that even at high stage volumes the notes didn't sustain that long. The tones are monster of course, but if you really need sustain you'd want to bung a nice compressor in front too. ;)

I have the MV 'Overdrive' version, but the MV is a pretty early design, pretty primitive, and only really useful for taking things down a little. Cut the master much below about 8 / 10 and the tone goes quickly south. These amps were designed to be played pretty hard, back in the days when stage volumes were going crazy. And they really don't sound their best at all until run loud. If you have the chance to do that though, they are just awesome.

Running as an OR120 would take things up a couple of decibels. (2-3dB). But since you are basically going from very loud already you won't notice all that much difference if playing alone. It is in a band mix where a couple of decibels change gets more obvious. I can't imagine really needing it for guitar these days though, even OR80s are massively loud guitar amps.
Different story for bass where the clean headroom is pretty pitiful. They aren't loud bass amps, though very toneful indeed, especially if you do like a bit of drive in your sound. Used mine as my main bass amp live for many years. Once just to check the real difference I did run it live once as an OR80 for the first set, OR120 the 2nd. For that particular pub gig through a decent bass cab it went from not quite loud enough to just about perfect.

The Hiwatt is another very uncompressed amp of course. And also stays much cleaner much longer - though as I say that's not the same thing! ;)
Yeah, you are right, even a 50 can sound massive. The sounds are just so sweet yet solid. (FWIW I find they also sound exceptionally good run quietly, bigger and 'louder' than any other valve amps I know at the same actual volume levels - if you know what I mean!) :wink: That is down to both the tones and more especially the dynamics again. Because a note's initial attack largely defines how loud the note 'sounds', if an amp has the dynamic range to deliver the attack with real uncompressed punch it'll definitely sound much louder and punchier. Some amps can punch way above their rated output wattage that way. I generally prefer relatively uncompressed amps for the way I play. For both guitar and bass, I just love using dramatic loud / soft dynamics. And the DR designs were also really efficient at keeping a good strong 'optimal gain' signal right through from input to output. (Again 'gain' isn't technically the same thing as distortion!) Wonderful amps, I'd say that (with the right pedals etc.) there is probably NOTHING you can't do well with a Hiwatt. Apart from sounding like a really good valve amp they are so versatile they don't really have a signature sound of their own as such. (Well, not until pushed really hard and actually overdriving nicely anyway, as on The Who's 'Live at Leeds' say when both Townshend and Entwistle did just that with their all Hiwatt rigs. A lot of the time the bass is making string scrape 'rhythm guitar' type sounds too, very clever. Again though classic sounds, but relatively short sustain!)

Yes the old ORs are way more versatile than most people realise, but you'd have to try hard to lose that trademark 'Orange tonality'. I'd actually rate the Hiwatt as the sweetest sounding most versatile amp I own, but again I'm talking with external drive sounds. For true cleans it just can't be bettered though IMO. Best musical instrument amp design ever made? Strong contender I'd say, gets my own vote anyway.

The Vox... Well I really hope the transformers are original and healthy - they are the beating heart of any classic valve amp. That being so once put properly back to spec you should have a fun ride. (By 'Copper top' you just meaning the early '60s control panel BTW, or you mean 'top' as in a head amp like mine, not a combo?)
The controls will also give you endless hours of fun getting new sounds. Especially if you link the 3 channels together using the 3 volumes as alternative 'tone balance controls'.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... st-2977849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also very punchy amps, sounding way louder than their 33W odd rating through good speakers. Secret there (apart from the tonality again) is the cathode biasing which gives a special sort of compression. Kind of gives you the best of both worlds, note attacks punch through but then the biasing shifts with the input signal and gives you nice sustain too. Neat neat neat! They won't actually max out that much above the 33W rating but a healthy AC30 2x12 with the alnico drivers will still usually blow a 50W Marshall / G12M 'Greenback' 4x12 away. Another amp you can easily cover most bases with BTW. Wonderful touch / feel / tones, something to look forward to! :)

BTW pictures are pretty much required here, otherwise nobody will believe we are talking real amps at all! ;)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

skylark

Post by skylark » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:03 am

Long dely for a reply, sorry about that, guys!

Well, i had the tremendous pleasure of cranking the OR120 (OR80 at the moment) without any attenuator through a Hiwatt 4x12 with fanes. Well... This was probably the best live tone i have ever heard. The fanes have a cleaner midrange and they seem to enhance the character of the OR120 that i like so much - it is full and warm, but clear at the same time, unlike Marshalls that get somewhat twitchy in the upper midrange very quickly and always seem to be a bit muddy in the cleans (again some sort of weitd mids spike i suppose).

The compression i was talking about earlier seems to be coming from the THD Hotplate - it does that to all amps, as the impedance curve is almost totally flat. I will build a reactive load soon that mimicks a proper impedance curve - that should take care of that for silent recording.

Without an attenuator... yes, it must be the most dynamic amp that i have ever played. I thought that was one of the big selling points for class A cathode biased amps a la VOX AC30, but i had the impression that the OR120 does this just as well, if not even better. I had it cranekd to 100% on the gain and with a strat i coudl still easily play clean and dig in for nice amount of overdrive. Without attenuation in between the amp sounds MUCH cleaner, MUCH more headroom and outright fantastic to play.

It got me hooked to Orange/Matamp amps and i've bneen reading up on the history. One thing that i would find interesting is a lower power OR80 and guess what i found out about only now (as a Matamp/Orange noob) - the Matamp 2000!!! Seems to be just what i was dreaiming about. I will start another thread on this, as i really want to understand, what design aspects this amp has in common with the OR80/120.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:00 am

You should check out what Yossarian83 did to his OR120 for lower volume crankage.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51492