tiny terror with carvin v412-c

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

kaboomtoys

Post by kaboomtoys » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:46 am

Hi, I just picked up a tt and im using it with a carvin v412-c from 82 and i dont know which output to use, the 8 ohm or 16 ohm. I found the specs on the carvin at carvin museum.com stating the cab is 4 ohm. Any suggestions, i cant hear a difference on either.

yaronis1
Tiny Terror

Post by yaronis1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:17 am

You can not use a 4 ohm speaker with the tiny terror, you can damage your amp in this way.
These are the options you have:

1) 1 8ohm speaker to one of the 8 ohm outputs (you should not connect two 8 ohm speakers to the two of the 8 ohm outputs simultaneously. This can damage your amp)

2) 1 16ohm speaker to the 16 ohm output (you can connect two 16 ohm speakers to the two of the 8 ohm outputs simultaneously)

Hope this helps...
Yaron

kaboomtoys

Post by kaboomtoys » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:20 am

Hi again, now i just found a review at harmony reviews claiming the Carvin v412-c is 16 ohm. ive been using it for about 20 years with a gk 250ml with out a problem to each. i do dig the sound though. Any other info would be nice. thanx all.

hamfist
Tiny Terror

Post by hamfist » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:47 am

To clarify what ohmage the cab is, all you need is a digital multimeter.
Stick a speaker cable into your cab. Then measure the resistance in ohms with a DMM between the tip and the sleeve of the other end of the cable. The resistance reading you get should be approx 80% of the actual resistance of the cab in use. SO a 16 ohm cab will measure about 13 ohms, an 8 ohm cab will measure about 6 ohms, and a 4 ohm cab will measure about 3 ohms.

If you do find that the cab is a 4 ohm one, then you will be able to re-wire it inside easily enough to make it a 16 ohm cab.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hamfist</i>
<br />To clarify what ohmage the cab is, all you need is a digital multimeter.
Stick a speaker cable into your cab. Then measure the resistance in ohms with a DMM between the tip and the sleeve of the other end of the cable. The resistance reading you get should be approx 80% of the actual resistance of the cab in use. SO a 16 ohm cab will measure about 13 ohms, an 8 ohm cab will measure about 6 ohms, and a 4 ohm cab will measure about 3 ohms.

If you do find that the cab is a 4 ohm one, then you will be able to re-wire it inside easily enough to make it a 16 ohm cab.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I started to write this same response last night right when the forum went down. What's been wrong with this two-bit internet forum lately?!?

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gladmarr</i>
<br />I started to write this same response last night right when the forum went down. What's been wrong with this two-bit internet forum lately?!?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Probably a valve failure - usually is... [:p]

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:50 pm

Well, according to Ted Stevens, the Retarded senator from Alaska in charge of regulating the internet, the internet is simply a series of tubes....

If they were chinese made tubes, or possibly that one bad JJ I got new in the box, they could easily knock out the whole "system...."

kaboomtoys

Post by kaboomtoys » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:12 pm

Thanx everybody, i hooked it up to my meter and got readings of 4.4 to 6.5 with alot of fluctuation so I guess its a 8 ohm cab. thanx again all. I will now use the 8 ohm output on my tiny terror, i love it! it really kranks for just 15 watts!

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:18 am

There shouldn't be much fluctuation when you do the measurement unless there was a faulty contact or a bad lead on your meter. It should have been pretty steady on the readout.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:24 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gladmarr</i>
<br />There shouldn't be much fluctuation when you do the measurement unless there was a faulty contact or a bad lead on your meter. It should have been pretty steady on the readout.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">+1 Better to be sure...

I'd take a look inside the cab, see what impedance the drivers really are and how they are wired. Check too for loose connections that may be causing the fluctuations with your readings - it there are any they may play havoc with your amp!
Wiring diagrams here:
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring.html

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

kaboomtoys

Post by kaboomtoys » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanx for all the info, i rechecked the speaker cab and now im getting a pretty steady 3.4-3.5 ohm, so i guess this is a 4 ohm cab, s---! yeah and this cab is sealed so i would have to remove the front grill then the speaker's from the front, anybody want to trade for a 2-12 orange cab? or even a 1-12? i guess im gonna put this cab aside and pick up a orange 1-12 cab to start soon. Do those go loud enough with just 1-12? Also how do i add a signature to my posts?

kaboomtoys

Post by kaboomtoys » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 am

on closer inspection this cab has celestion g12-50. 50 british watts with 6 lb. magnetic stuctures with 1 3/4 voice coils rated 200 watts. yeah, this is greek to me, i guess im gonna take em apart and try rewiring... then again after looking at the diagrams im gonna buy a 112 cab. thanx all