Rockerverb for Classic Rock?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

NB__England

Rockerverb for Classic Rock?

Post by NB__England » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi All
I will soon be in a position to buy a new rig and am currently torn between Marshall and Orange amps so could do with some advice.
My situation is this, I play in a covers band doing typical pop/rock material from clean to rock, AC DC is the heaviest we go. I use a Fender amp and use pedals for dirt. I play a tele in the first set and switch to a les paul in the second set as it is a rockier set which I play entirely through a RAT. I don't need shed loads of volume as I'm always miced, just need to hear myself against the drummer really.
My big concern about Marshall is the apparent lack of quality in new products compared to Orange. I definately will be buying new so please don't suggest vintage.
Essentially I am looking for two channels, a clean that stays clean against a drummer and a Marshallesque dirt channel. Also a good f/x loop and am looking for head and cab.
As the title suggests I am leaning towards the Mk3 Rockerverb.
Any thoughts?
Nigel.
Orange TH30 Head
Orange Rocker 15
2 - 2x12ppc Open back

MikeD
Orange Expert

Re: Rockerverb for Classic Rock?

Post by MikeD » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:03 pm

.... Uhm, yes.

50mkll with a 212 is almost overkill.... Gain hardly ever goes over 12 and the volume stays around 10:30 ish.I could see the alternator in the mklll being useful. Be weary of the 112, it does not do the head justice.

... Oh, and I play in a semi-pro. rock cover band so for classic rock its just ace!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:08 pm

The RV sounds ace, but it doesn't really sound like a Marshall.

It will sound warmer, and a bit thicker. In my opinion better, but yours may differ.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

NB__England

Post by NB__England » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:13 pm

I was thinking of the 2x12 openback with a view to having 2 stacked for versatility, the amp I currently gig is a Fender Vibroverb. In the pubs we play there generaly isn't much space so I end up with the amp right by my legs, that kills a lot of volume to my ears so I use the tilt back legs to point it at my head, hence thinking 2 cabs stacked would be great for hearing myself without having to turn up too much. I don't much fancy dragging a 4x12 to practice every week!
Orange TH30 Head
Orange Rocker 15
2 - 2x12ppc Open back

NB__England

Post by NB__England » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 pm

How do you two guys feel the RV works with a les paul? Many forums suggest its not a great combination, a bit dark,muddy? Don't shoot me, just passing on other peoples comments. The same people seem to feel that it pairs very well with a tele too.
Orange TH30 Head
Orange Rocker 15
2 - 2x12ppc Open back

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 pm

RV and some 212s (or 1) would be great for what you want to do.

I use various guitars through mine, teles work great. I really like the firebird v with the RV sounds huge but your initial question was a LP. I think they sound awesome, never thought they were muddy.
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:52 pm

NB__England wrote:How do you two guys feel the RV works with a les paul? Many forums suggest its not a great combination, a bit dark,muddy? Don't shoot me, just passing on other peoples comments. The same people seem to feel that it pairs very well with a tele too.

Well..... Bear in mind that I have the RV50 MKI, not the MKIII, and I believe they are a hit different on the dirty channel front.

With my Les Paul Standard faded (burstbucker Pro pick ups) it is a bit dark (certainly not muddy) depending on settings.

You can always increase the treble, reduce the bass to suit. Personally, I love the dark, thick grunt of a LP through my Oranges.

There's nothing quite like it!!!

As for the PPC212, you could always buy one only and rest it on its side?
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Personally, I love the dark, thick grunt of a LP through my Oranges.

There's nothing quite like it!!!
+1
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:33 am

The thing I noticed first about using an orange is that the pickups used make a big difference. I also find it funny because I have a strat and some gibsons and I really don't like the sound of my strat through my RV MKIII. It just doesn't sound good to my ears.

I haven't heard people say that a les paul through a RV is bad but I guess when you look at the orange forum more than anything, the sample audience tends to be a little skewed.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:55 am

For classic rock, get an OR50.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 am

If there's no need for Fx loop, the Ad30htc would do well too.

But the RV50 will pull it off just fine really.
Ant

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:50 am

NB__England wrote:I was thinking of the 2x12 openback with a view to having 2 stacked for versatility, the amp I currently gig is a Fender Vibroverb. In the pubs we play there generaly isn't much space so I end up with the amp right by my legs, that kills a lot of volume to my ears so I use the tilt back legs to point it at my head, hence thinking 2 cabs stacked would be great for hearing myself without having to turn up too much. I don't much fancy dragging a 4x12 to practice every week!
The openback is probably a good solution seeing that the CB is verrrrrrryyyy directional. But that is easily solved...Get a case for the 212 and pop it on top for pub gigs or go in-ear if your always miced (your hearing will thank you).

or just turn it on it´s side if you can stand that the Orange-emblem being a little off...something my OCD has issues with. (Excuse the corny pose....to many Jack and cokes the night before left me feeling a tad silly ;-)
NB__England wrote:How do you two guys feel the RV works with a les paul? Many forums suggest its not a great combination, a bit dark,muddy? Don't shoot me, just passing on other peoples comments. The same people seem to feel that it pairs very well with a tele too.
Just awesome and nooooo mud, at least not with burstbucker pros (2). Maybe a little modern compared to the mini-pups in my firebird or the pups in my SG, but that might have a little to do with the vintage style Gibson strings I use on those 2?!

My other guitarist is a Fender guy and we´ve tried his through the orange...sounds nice but you may need to mess around with the EQ between switches to get a great sound. When it comes to the Gibsons I only have to alter the gain/volume between guitars. The LP is a beast when it comes to output :D
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi welcome to the forum.

Poor Marshall quality and excel Orange tone is what converted me to Orange over ten years ago and I've not looked back ....although have owned numerous Orange amps.

The RV will do a good job of classic rock and is a good choice if you need a pretty clean channel and a dirty channel and an fx lop. There are arguably imo better choices for classic rock although not necessarily with the other features you mention . What about the new rocker 32?

I've used various Orange amps with a les paul, , admittedly the RV mk11 and not the mk111 but 've never thought of it as muddy .
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:23 pm

NB__England wrote:Hi All
I will soon be in a position to buy a new rig and am currently torn between Marshall and Orange amps so could do with some advice.
My situation is this, I play in a covers band doing typical pop/rock material from clean to rock, AC DC is the heaviest we go. I use a Fender amp and use pedals for dirt. I play a tele in the first set and switch to a les paul in the second set as it is a rockier set which I play entirely through a RAT. I don't need shed loads of volume as I'm always miced, just need to hear myself against the drummer really.
My big concern about Marshall is the apparent lack of quality in new products compared to Orange. I definately will be buying new so please don't suggest vintage.
Essentially I am looking for two channels, a clean that stays clean against a drummer and a Marshallesque dirt channel. Also a good f/x loop and am looking for head and cab.
As the title suggests I am leaning towards the Mk3 Rockerverb.
Any thoughts?
Nigel.
If youre mic'd why lug around big gear, go for an Orange Rocker 32 or a Marshall DSL40C and an amp stand to raise it off the floor. Either would do you fine but if youre looking for Marshall tone then get a Marshall, the DSL40C is a fine piece of gear.
Thunderverb 50

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:44 pm

I had a Rockerverb MkI 50W for classic rock which delivered great results with or without some boost, OD, etc. Initially I had the 2x12 CB cabinet but as others have said it was a Death Star beam in front of the speakers and virtually nothing outside them...I eventually got an Avatar 4x12 Fender style that breathed and bloomed much more.

Let us not forget the 'Verb' part of the name...Orange reverbs knock modern Marshalls into a cocked hat. A bandmate has a DSL40 combo that he loves for compactness and power but hates the reverb so much he's obliged to use an outboard pedal.