Stereo setup worth it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Stereo setup worth it?

Post by Orangesoda » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:43 am

So I'm contemplating making a few changes. The money isn't really an issue because I'll be selling some pedals and most of the cost of the new stuff will be covered.

What I'm wanting to do is have a stereo setup when I play for when I play live. But, for example, the next show we will play at has a small stage so I can't really spread out my amps. They will either have to be stacked or right beside each other. Will that effect the 'stereo-ness' (if that's a word lol)? Would it be optimal to separate the amps as much as possible?

This place has a PA. Sometimes I will use one amp at a time and for some songs both amps. So what I'm THINKING is micing both amps, having the sound guy run one amp on the left and one on the right and coordinate with him so that he knows which songs use both amps and which ones use just one amp so he can either run it L and R for both amps being used or run the sound of the one amp being used into all the speakers.

If I'm gonna do this stereo thing I just want to get the full effect. Wanna be certain it's worth the time and effort.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: Stereo setup worth it?

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:26 am

On spacial effects (flange, chorus, etc) it's interesting. In another hand, if you don't play in the center of your amps, you won't really hear the results. And for small/mid gig, it means 2 mic on amps, and make sure you have a balanced volume..

The time I had a stereo rack system, I ran it through my 4X12 (2+2 in X configuration). It add some spacial presence, but in real stage life if you don't have your own tech to set this up, to my humble opinion it's not worth the pain.

The only condition where playing stereo is easy, is the one where you have no amp and plug a pod/fractal/eleven rack like system direct in the PA.
Last edited by Hubaxe on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 am

It can sound extremely cool if you're sitting in the middle with stereo delay and reverb especially. I've never tried it live myself... it seemed like a lot of hassel and the average sound guy seems to have a hard enough time just getting the band balanced let alone making sure a stereo guitar rig sounds right.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 am

Unless you're playing BIG venues, that stereo effect has the potential to make your guitar sound become really messed up. Imagine a room where all you could hear was the left side of your amazing sound and it's the off-beat delay? If you're using sounds that need both sides to be full ask yourself if they will work with one side only. If the answer is yes, then go for it!

I find nine times out of ten, the only person who is going to really appreciate or even HEAR the stereo effect is you. Onstage.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Personally, even though I could do it, I have no incline to do so.

Even though I could run my delay like that, not sure I'd want to do it. For recording, that would be worth the hassle, but any gig crowd won't take note.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:28 pm

The sound guy is not going to go for that at any small or medium sized room. You'd need your own paid sound man. Trust me, I can't even get them to let me use an effects pedal for my vocals 99% of the time.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Baytamusic has a good point. Often times there isn't a second available mic... and it might be a hard sell anyways since many guitarists are pretty much loud enough that stage volume is the bulk of their live sound, barely reinforced through the PA. If you can keep it to a workable level with two amps and have a sympathetic soundman then go for it.

I have run stereo rigs on a number of occasions but for the most part, I'm the only one enjoying the stereo bit. Still, I enjoy it and if it helps me play better....

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 pm

bclaire wrote:Imagine a room where all you could hear was the left side of your amazing sound and it's the off-beat delay? If you're using sounds that need both sides to be full ask yourself if they will work with one side only. If the answer is yes, then go for it!
Well with my setup I'm looking into having a stereo chorus for now. Might add a delay later. Other then that I'll have my Orange and another amp that will practically be doing the same except with a slightly different sound since they are both very different. That's when I'm using both at the same time. So I'm not too worried about a few people right beside the PA speaker hearing 1 amp. Actually from what I remember this place has a couple of large speakers hanging from the ceiling pointing down. I don't remember if there are speakers elsewhere.
baytamusic wrote:The sound guy is not going to go for that at any small or medium sized room. You'd need your own paid sound man. Trust me, I can't even get them to let me use an effects pedal for my vocals 99% of the time.
We played at this place before and the sound guy was really cool and laid back and was actually telling us about this one dude that played SRV stuff that had a huge setup and played loud. So I don't think it will be a problem. In any case I will probably email the lady setting up the show and try to talk to the sound guy to see if that would be an issue or not to go ahead and know ahead of time. There's a friend of ours that has DJ'd for many years and set up bands at parties and we played through his setup once. He once said he would be our sound guy at this place if necessary.
bclaire wrote:Baytamusic has a good point. Often times there isn't a second available mic...
I got mics and cables :). I'm pretty sure there are enough inputs because one time there was this band playing there that had 4 vocal mics, drummer, 2 guitars, bass and a banjo all running through the house system.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Well, that's all fine and good at that venue then. I guess my point is if you're playing lots of different clubs I wouldn't rely on always being able to do that. And Billy makes a pretty solid point, in smaller rooms stage sound is a good portion of what the audience is hearing. If you are just playing one venue and the sound guy is willing to use notes of your set and all that, then I guess go for it, but it would seriously piss off most house guys. They for the most part want to set it and forget it.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:20 pm

I'd much rather have control of things with an ABY pedal instead of relying on the sound man to switch things for each song at his end. You'd just have to mic both cabs and tell the sound man not to worry if you switch one off for a song or two.

Also, it doesn't really have to be a spread-out stereo setup for biamping to sound awesome. Pile it up if necessary.

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Post by iblastoff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:28 am

sounds like way too much effort for very little gain, especially in a small club. no one will even discern the difference, let alone even give a pile of poop about stereo guitars.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:49 pm

The hate for sound guys makes my tummy tickle. I'll have my own. Jesus.
Randy Bass wrote:I'd much rather have control of things with an ABY pedal instead of relying on the sound man to switch things for each song at his end. You'd just have to mic both cabs and tell the sound man not to worry if you switch one off for a song or two.

Also, it doesn't really have to be a spread-out stereo setup for biamping to sound awesome. Pile it up if necessary.
Now here's something to think about. Ok so if I were to instead just do this (mic both amps and have them running through all the PA speakers all the time) will it still have a decent wet stereo sound to it coming out of the PA? Even though I'll try to have most of my sound coming from stage it would still be pretty cool to have a stereo sound coming out of the PA without having to have a sound guy mess with anything.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 pm

At home a stereo setup is cool. Chorus, delay and reverb sound huge and really fat. Live? No.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Orangesoda wrote:The hate for sound guys makes my tummy tickle. I'll have my own. Jesus.
Randy Bass wrote:I'd much rather have control of things with an ABY pedal instead of relying on the sound man to switch things for each song at his end. You'd just have to mic both cabs and tell the sound man not to worry if you switch one off for a song or two.

Now here's something to think about. Ok so if I were to instead just do this (mic both amps and have them running through all the PA speakers all the time) will it still have a decent wet stereo sound to it coming out of the PA? Even though I'll try to have most of my sound coming from stage it would still be pretty cool to have a stereo sound coming out of the PA without having to have a sound guy mess with anything.
You'd have to leave them panned left and right to have any stereo effect through the PA when playing through both amps, but then it would sound a little odd/empty when one side drops out if you switch the ABY to only one amp. If you are okay playing through both amps the whole time, which I recommend, then it would be more worthwhile. More amps is better!

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 am

Randy Bass wrote:
Orangesoda wrote:The hate for sound guys makes my tummy tickle. I'll have my own. Jesus.

You'd have to leave them panned left and right to have any stereo effect through the PA when playing through both amps, but then it would sound a little odd/empty when one side drops out if you switch the ABY to only one amp. If you are okay playing through both amps the whole time, which I recommend, then it would be more worthwhile. More amps is better!
For the 'one side dropping out' thing I was going to get my own sound guy in order to have him change it depending on the song so that the 1 amp goes through all the speakers. I might just use both amps all the time then. The thing that I really wanted to have was the option to only use 1 amp for some songs and use the dirty channel on my amp. Poop.