Ampeg and Queens of the Stone Age ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Ampeg and Queens of the Stone Age ?

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:27 pm

I'll expand a bit. The VT-22 and V4 are exactly the same amp. So, in a VT-22 the internal speakers could be ran, and then you could hook up another cab with it.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 pm

baytamusic wrote:I'll expand a bit. The VT-22 and V4 are exactly the same amp. So, in a VT-22 the internal speakers could be ran, and then you could hook up another cab with it.
Yep, I found an old ampeg manual and they are dual speaker outs....so I can run it into my 2 orange 4x12's in the 8 ohm setting I guess, but damn that is a lot of air to be moving!

I wonder though, is it better to run two cables from the amp to the "In" jacks of cabinet A and cabinet B or

one cable from amp to the "In" jack of Cabinet A then run a cable from the "Link" jack of cabinet A to the "In" jack on cabinet B....or is it all effectively the same as I assume?

Last edited by ironlung40 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Make sure your shoes are on tight!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
baytamusic wrote:I'll expand a bit. The VT-22 and V4 are exactly the same amp. So, in a VT-22 the internal speakers could be ran, and then you could hook up another cab with it.
Yep, I found an old ampeg manual and they are dual speaker outs....so I can run it into my 2 orange 4x12's in the 8 ohm setting I guess, but damn that is a lot of air to be moving!

I wonder though, is it better to run two cables from the amp to the "In" jacks of cabinet A and cabinet B or

one cable from amp to the "In" jack of Cabinet A then run a cable from the "Link" jack of cabinet A to the "In" jack on cabinet B....or is it all effectively the same as I assume?

I'd assume the same thing.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 am

Very nice. Mine looks basically the same but without the logo (and reverb). Hopefully you don't mind how ridiculously heavy they are.

As far as speaker connections go, the only reason to daisy-chain is that you can use two short cables that way. I like to have both cabs connected directly to the head, though it doesn't really matter unless something goes wrong.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:56 pm

WHOA!! Ampeg V4! I really dig it! It is sorta in the realm of falling between a big fender twin or twin reverb and Orangey too as it tends to get dark and a bit muffly or fuzzily when pushed real hard...the bottom end is big but kinda loose and the amp feels a bit mushy when pushed hard...but, I haven't even begun to fiddle with all of the eq possibilities....I typically don't like "american" sounding cleans or drive, but I can get used to this amp...it will do the Who pinball wizard tones all the way to doomy fuzzy sounding stuff with more high end than the Orange.

I will say this, I have many pedals that I gave up on but just hadn't sold them yet, I am re-thinking now as the V4 loves them. I have one of those ts-9 turbo pedals that was just o.k. with my other amps, but sounds so awesome with the V4. I had it set to a crunchy rhythm sound and was doing some Graveyard type stuff like you hear in "Blue Soul" albeit more gainy the way I was playing it, and it just rips for that! I think it would sound great in tandem with my OR120 for that type of music.

I am going to post some more pics so you can see the condition of this head which appears great. It is need of a service I am sure. I also think the output tubes are worn maybe. All of the tubes appear original (magnavox)... I would like to get them on a tester and see how good or bad they are.

I will explore this later as I am going to have a tech service it if I intend to play it much as I don't want something exploding in a 40 year amp if I can prevent it.

well I wanted something different and at this point I dig it. standby for some gut-shot pics etc.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:47 am

I'll be interested to see the guts. I just blindly trusted my tech, so I've never pulled the chassis on mine. I think I was able to get a current-production replacement for every preamp tube except one, which was still available cheaply as NOS. The 7027s had to be special-ordered, but it was no big deal.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:35 am

Randy Bass wrote:I'll be interested to see the guts. I just blindly trusted my tech, so I've never pulled the chassis on mine. I think I was able to get a current-production replacement for every preamp tube except one, which was still available cheaply as NOS. The 7027s had to be special-ordered, but it was no big deal.
I will get those pics up as soon as I can. I have taken them I just have to upload them to photobucket.

where did you get your 7027's?

and one thing that surprised me with this amp is that it starts to break up somewhere between 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock on the dial....I always read these where huge headroom clean amps, but mine will break up nicely without a whole lot of problem. Granted, I think my output tubes are kinda worn, so I may not be getting as much output as I would if they were fresh, but still the amp will get gnarly.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:24 pm

My local shop was a Groove Tubes dealer, so they ordered the 7027s (GT JJs) for me ($150 for a matched quad!).

With the old Magnavox tubes, mine could go up to 12:00 and still be tolerable (and with slight breakup). Once I put the new tubes in, I couldn't get up to 9:00 without bothering the neighbors. It doesn't really break up at that volume, but it still sounds really warm and full.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Randy Bass wrote:My local shop was a Groove Tubes dealer, so they ordered the 7027s (GT JJs) for me ($150 for a matched quad!).

With the old Magnavox tubes, mine could go up to 12:00 and still be tolerable (and with slight breakup). Once I put the new tubes in, I couldn't get up to 9:00 without bothering the neighbors. It doesn't really break up at that volume, but it still sounds really warm and full.
Thanks Randy! I was a little bit concerned with the output, but it sounds like yours exhibited the reduced power with worn tubes as well. I will definitely re-tube mine in the near future.

Pics are coming, I promise. I just haven't had time to sit down at computer long enough to do it.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Nice man!! I'm glad to hear you are loving it so far. Seems like a really cool amp from what I've read and watched on youtube of them! Congrats on the NAD! Looking forward to the pics.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:23 am

a few more shots:

schematic still in-tact!!

Rat's Nest!!

Sitting next to my OR...you can see my 2203 to the right atop my friend's twin reverb and just the corner of his pix only in the floor in front of it....
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:39 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
Sitting next to my OR...you can see my 2203 to the right atop my friend's twin reverb and just the corner of his pix only in the floor in front of it....
Looks beautiful! Almost got me a V4 head but chose the VT-22 combo instead. Yesterday I turned it up to a little past 10 o'clock and it would shake me! Had to put ear plugs on.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Lovely guts, a little rats nesty, but lovely nonetheless!

Is that cardboard that your heads are sitting on on top of the cabs? Is that for cab vibration happening to the heads? I've never seen that before!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:50 pm

myboss57 wrote:Lovely guts, a little rats nesty, but lovely nonetheless!

Is that cardboard that your heads are sitting on on top of the cabs? Is that for cab vibration happening to the heads? I've never seen that before!
I'll take a stab at this...........this is so the low-mid frequencies blend with the low-low's which shall then transfer into the amp and make good tonez..............

Or it's so his cabs don't get damaged lol