Ampeg and Queens of the Stone Age ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Ampeg and Queens of the Stone Age ?

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:19 am

I've got a quad of GT 7027S (JJs) in mine. It came with the original Magnavox 7027s, but the output was pretty low because they were worn-out. I seem to remember that 6L6s would go in it with only a bias adjustment because the V-4B didn't use the pin(s) that were different on the 7027.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:05 am

Orangesoda wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:I like some of the sounds Homme gets....I bet it is more to do with pedals and such (and of course his fingers as we all know) But, I think I get bored with my amps (OR120, JCM800, TThw) and would like to try something different that is not such a well known or overused amp throughout rock history.

And don't get me wrong, I love my OR120 and feel very satisfied with it, but with that said, I would like to experiment with something else for some fun and different texture.

The tube type with these amps could be a problem, no? Every amp I have owned either uses EL34's, 6550's, or EL84's....Are the 7027's hard to come by?
Big QOTSA and TCV fan. I got me a VT-22 to get those Homme tones. What helps you get those thick tones will be using the rocker switch for the midrange, getting that tweaked right and also getting some 12's or 13's and tunning down to C standard. Big difference of sound between 10's and 12's especially when tuning down. A huge rumbling sound. I love it. But I do love my Rocker 30 too 8) Those 2 amps give me ALL the sounds I want!
Is your VT-22 a non-master volume model or master volume? What pedals, if any, are you using to push the amp?

To Gladmarr: Good info and thanks for the link.

To Randy: So you actually own a V4b right now?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:01 am

ironlung40 wrote:
Orangesoda wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:I like some of the sounds Homme gets....I bet it is more to do with pedals and such (and of course his fingers as we all know) But, I think I get bored with my amps (OR120, JCM800, TThw) and would like to try something different that is not such a well known or overused amp throughout rock history.

And don't get me wrong, I love my OR120 and feel very satisfied with it, but with that said, I would like to experiment with something else for some fun and different texture.

The tube type with these amps could be a problem, no? Every amp I have owned either uses EL34's, 6550's, or EL84's....Are the 7027's hard to come by?
Big QOTSA and TCV fan. I got me a VT-22 to get those Homme tones. What helps you get those thick tones will be using the rocker switch for the midrange, getting that tweaked right and also getting some 12's or 13's and tunning down to C standard. Big difference of sound between 10's and 12's especially when tuning down. A huge rumbling sound. I love it. But I do love my Rocker 30 too 8) Those 2 amps give me ALL the sounds I want!
Is your VT-22 a non-master volume model or master volume? What pedals, if any, are you using to push the amp?

To Gladmarr: Good info and thanks for the link.

To Randy: So you actually own a V4b right now?
Non-master volume. Gets pretty loud past 9 o'clock. One of my fav dist pedals is the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. Pumps out lots of bass and you can dial out the treble to your liking. Not a pedal that is talked about a lot but I prefer it over my Super Crunch Box and the Bogner Ecstasy Red.

I could prolly post a video so you can see the sounds that you can get outta the amp. I took off my 12's a few days ago and put 10's back on lol. I liked the 12's though so I wouldn't mind getting some more and putting em on and tuning to C again.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:22 pm

a video would be great!
can you get that amp to crunch without pedals or is it so loud at that point that it is unusable in a normal setting? do you wish you had bought the VT-40 instead as I figure it would break up better.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:33 pm

I've had my V-4B for about four years. I bought it with a dead OT and had it resurrected by a tech. I haven't played guitar through it, but it seems to me that you could probably find some good tones because the EQ controls are so dramatic. I suppose the rocker controls along the top are active since they are so ridiculously powerful. It doesn't have a Master Volume, so I'd have to break out a fuzz pedal or something.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:46 pm

ironlung40 wrote:a video would be great!
can you get that amp to crunch without pedals or is it so loud at that point that it is unusable in a normal setting? do you wish you had bought the VT-40 instead as I figure it would break up better.
I actually had a Vt-40 first. Great amp. But it would break up a little too soon for me. My pickups are a tad hot. It wouldn't stay clean that far up the dial. So that's why I ended up selling it and searching for a VT-22. Initially I wanted a V4 but figured why not get the combo which will cost just as much and I don't have to plug it into the 4x12 if I don't wanna.

I'll try to get around to making a vid and I'll let you know once I have it uploaded

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:51 am

Orangesoda wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:a video would be great!
I actually had a Vt-40 first. Great amp. But it would break up a little too soon for me. My pickups are a tad hot. It wouldn't stay clean that far up the dial. So that's why I ended up selling it and searching for a VT-22. Initially I wanted a V4 but figured why not get the combo which will cost just as much and I don't have to plug it into the 4x12 if I don't wanna.

I'll try to get around to making a vid and I'll let you know once I have it uploaded
Thanks for the info man. The vt-22 or v4 non master volume models sounds like what I would prefer if i buy one....this thread has been helpful.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:06 pm

IMO, he may or may not use those amps.... it's hard to know what's under that shell. He's not always transparent with what he's actually using. Just my two cents.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:48 pm

nlimbaugh wrote:IMO, he may or may not use those amps.... it's hard to know what's under that shell. He's not always transparent with what he's actually using. Just my two cents.
True.

I am not trying to get his tone...just looking to try something different...and QOTSA is the only reference I have for these amps really, at least to start from.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 am

nlimbaugh wrote:IMO, he may or may not use those amps.... it's hard to know what's under that shell. He's not always transparent with what he's actually using. Just my two cents.
True. He have a Rocker 30 under there!!! Lol.

I was reading somewhere that he used a V4 and V4B for Songs for the Deaf I think. The one thing that's remained a mystery to me is how the hell he gets that tone on Song for the Dead. Where it stands out the most is after the whole intro and about a min in he does that one bend and it's just got a sound of its own that I've never heard. I'm certain that the first bend is Josh's guitar and then the next one a couple of seconds later is Troy. Hadn't heard the song in a while but I just listened to it again.

That's it. Ima sit down for a while and tweak my amp and try to see how he gets that damn sound!!! Dammit!

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 am

Troy Van Leeuwen is not playing on songs for the deaf.

He didn't join QOTSA until after the album was recorded.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:02 pm

I read in an interview that himself and Alain Johannes would try loads of things to get 'that sound' including cellotaping a mic to under the strings and re-amping what they recorded, using some cheap ass guitars and also using old radio's as amps.

He aint conventional by any means anyway.

I think Orange amps like the Ad30 and the Rocker are pretty good at getting that kind of sound tho he may not use them but then again he just might!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Well....I did it. I bought a V4. I will report back when I spend some time with it....as well as post some pics. Probably be next week though so sorry to make it suspenseful....but I am excited to try something different that hasn't broken the bank either.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Picked up the V4 today. I didn't realize that it only has 8, 4, and 2 ohm output on the back. :cry:

Anyway, all I have are 16 ohm cabs, so I guess I am going to pull the outer pair of tubes and run it at half power until I figure out whether or not I want to try and wire up an 8 ohm cabinet....probably don't need a full 100 watts on this beast anyway, we'll see I guess...unless this is dual speaker outputs...if so I will run it to both of my 16 ohm cabs!! Must check on these outputs though as one says ext. speaker while the other only says speaker...I guess they are one in the same?

More to come...on this saga but here is another pic so you know it is really happening.

Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:25 pm

They can be ran at the same time. I think maybe two 16ohm cabs would drop the load to 8ohm.