OR15H with PPC108 cab?? (home use)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Re: OR15H with PPC108 cab?? (home use)

Post by woodddj » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:18 am

I use my OR15 with a slanted vertical 2x12 loaded with g12t-75's and I have no issues with low volumes. I can go from a little whisper all the way to ear bleeding levels with a turn of the knob

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:42 pm

For home use you can take a look at an Eminence Maverick speaker. I believe Palmer has a 112 cab with this speaker. I have it the Emi in my cab with an OR15 and it sounds real nice. I always found the OR15 to be spiky in the high mids and highs and it sounded bad (to my ears) with the Vintage 30. But the Maverick suits it greatly and overall overall is much more musical. The FDM feature is very good and by taking it all down you can really open the volume on the amp.

tinman1

Post by tinman1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Man1ak wrote:For home use you can take a look at an Eminence Maverick speaker. I believe Palmer has a 112 cab with this speaker. I have it the Emi in my cab with an OR15 and it sounds real nice. I always found the OR15 to be spiky in the high mids and highs and it sounded bad (to my ears) with the Vintage 30. But the Maverick suits it greatly and overall overall is much more musical. The FDM feature is very good and by taking it all down you can really open the volume on the amp.
Hadn't seen this before, quite interesting...thanks.

I guess the caveat is that it only works in open back cabs (as you need access to the adjustment dial).

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:19 am

I guess the caveat is that it only works in open back cabs (as you need access to the adjustment dial).

Indeed, you need to access the dial from the back. For home use i found that I prefer the open backs. The projection of a closed back is too aggressive - at least to my ears - and not needed. The open back gives more air and fills the room in a more pleasant way. Could be a matter of taste. To home users i suggest to remove the back and do some tests.

tinman1

Post by tinman1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Man1ak wrote:I guess the caveat is that it only works in open back cabs (as you need access to the adjustment dial).

Indeed, you need to access the dial from the back. For home use i found that I prefer the open backs. The projection of a closed back is too aggressive - at least to my ears - and not needed. The open back gives more air and fills the room in a more pleasant way. Could be a matter of taste. To home users i suggest to remove the back and do some tests.
Could you realistically use an Orange PPC112 with the back removed? The input jack socket appears to be part of the back panel..

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Could you realistically use an Orange PPC112 with the back removed? The input jack socket appears to be part of the back panel..

Been there, done that :)

Yes, you can. All you have to do is unscrew the plate with the jacks and remove it from the back. You can screw it back on the edge of the cab - you only need one screw. If you don't mind, you could even leave it hanging - no harm in that.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Man1ak wrote:Could you realistically use an Orange PPC112 with the back removed? The input jack socket appears to be part of the back panel..

Been there, done that :)

Yes, you can. All you have to do is unscrew the plate with the jacks and remove it from the back. You can screw it back on the edge of the cab - you only need one screw. If you don't mind, you could even leave it hanging - no harm in that.
And if you end up liking the sound of it as an open back you can get a small sheet of plywood and convert it to an open backed cab.

Right now I'm running 2 PPC112s with my AD30, one open and one closed.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Yep. Or one of these would work too.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_v112nt.htm

It certainly won't be quiet but it will be less loud than say a V30. Another option would possibly be to get the Orange PPC112 and see if you can find someone wanting to swap a V30 for a G12M if you want an Orange cab. But the other two cabs would get you there quicker I'm sure.
I have that one, it's not that bassy, semi open back. Good for an 80s metal sound, but not that good for doom or death metal.

Indeed has a Greenback, but I swapped the speaker in mine a few years ago. No longer made, they have a newer version, also with a Greenback it seems.

tinman1

Post by tinman1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

This is what I went for in the end.....

I'm actually finding that the amp sounds quite good at very low volumes (master volume at 1 or 2) without an attenuator, probably because of the more direct projection from the closed back. I probably struggled with this through the combo speaker I used previously as it was essentially an open back design which seemed louder.

Using the volume knob on the guitar for cleaner tones and just ordered a spark boost mini to help make up for loss of volume on my strat when I do this.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Impedance follows the actual speaker so to keep it a 16 ohm cab you'd need to replace the 16ohm V30 with a 16ohm G12M.
Which is something you need to do if you'll ever want to run a second cab. You can run either one or two 16 ohm cabs, but only a single 8 ohms one. So better going 16 ohms!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!