Fulltone OCD Or BB Preamp Overdrive

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Glitch25

Fulltone OCD Or BB Preamp Overdrive

Post by Glitch25 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:08 pm

just got my TH30 a month ago and Im now looking for a nice overdrive pedal to go with it
but I have a little knowledge about OD's and even littler knowledge about which OD will go
nice with my amp so got these two ideas the OCD and the BB preamp
whice should sound nicer ? :D

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Fulltone OCD Or BB Preamp Overdrive

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:59 pm

I have a BB preamp and think its great. However the OCD is a quality pedal as well and personally I don't think you can go wrong with either. They're both transparent over drives that don't kill your amps tone. If you were asking between these pedals and say a digitech bad monkey or boss overdrive, I'd say the BB or OCD. The BB can also be a nice clean boost too.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:51 pm

They are both great pedals. I've used both with my Orange but neither at the moment. The OCD is advertised as more of a "Marshall in a box". It will add just a little of hair to your tone but sounds really good. I think the BB is a bit more transparent and I think a bit more versatile. More of a "Dumble in a box".
==================================================================

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Just a suggestion, Not what you asked about, but I have had great luck using a Catalinbread SFT with my Orange TT. I have found the TT harder to please with other OD pedals. The reasons I suggest this pedal are as follows...
1. Baxandall EQ, very wide range bass & treble are very sensitive & extremely useful in tone shaping.
2. It has a ton of clean boost which is not brittle at all, it's fat & thick.
3. The nature of the Ampeg style drive is perfect for adding thick hair & lots of sustain to a verge of breakup/ just beginning to crunch tone on the Orange, but will also work really well with the amp set clean. The highest range of gain with this pedal gets syrupy but stays musical. There is no harsh flavor here.

I use it with the TT on the verge of breakup and I get a Stones sticky fingers type tone. I wouldn't suggest this for hard rock or high gain, just not what this is about. But if you have a shop where you can test one, it may be worth it. Or buy from someplace with a great return policy in case it doesn't spin your wheels.
Like I said, it's just a suggestion. I have also tried an Anaolgman TS9 and a Catalinbread DLS MK 3 that work great with my Fender amps but not so good with the Orange.

Glitch25

Post by Glitch25 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 am

the problem is that we dont have that much of a selection of pedals in Israel so the testing one is not an option \:

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Gotcha. In that case pretty hard to go wrong with either an OCD or a BB. Easy to get really good sound out of both. I think the BB may give you a better clean boost if that's of interest to you.

Glitch25

Post by Glitch25 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:50 pm

I got the main idea well thenks for the help guys guess ill go for the BB :D