Should I Trade OR15H and Dark Terror for TH30?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Hammerheart

Re: Should I Trade OR15H and Dark Terror for TH30?

Post by Hammerheart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Cheers for the input guys. I went to the shop and got the TH30. Really happy. Feck me that clean channel is loud!! :lol:
Last edited by Hammerheart on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Hammerheart wrote:Cheers for the input guys. I went to the shop and got the TH30. Really happy. Feck me that clean channel is loud!! :lol:
Nice! So does the TH30 dirty channel sound like the dark terror as you wanted?

Hammerheart

Post by Hammerheart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:09 pm

No, but after demoing the TH30 I found the dirty channel to be richer, looser and warmer than both the Dark Terror (to my ears quite tight.) and the clean channel does cleans better than either of them. It takes pedals well so I have found the clean channel with an OD/booster in front if I does what I wanted the OR15 to do better than the OR15 did. I wanted my Orange amps to deliver enough high gain for Sabbath/stoner/doom/metal tones while being versatile enough to do Paul Kossoff/Jimmy Page tones. The clean channel nails the Zeppelin 'Ten Years Gone' intro tone.

I'm extremely pleased. :D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Hammerheart wrote:I'm extremely pleased. :D
Well thats good. Useful TH30 info on this thread. Glad it worked out for you! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Hammerheart wrote:
I'm extremely pleased. :D
That sounds great. I love my OR15 but I have been debating on getting the DA Terror or the TH30 to run with it for variety. I thought I was set on the DA but now I may have to revisit that. Thanks for the info. :D

Legend

Post by Legend » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Take a look at the TH30 allot of tones and the dirty channel is really heavy with clearity, sounds like a beast through a closed back cab. I have owned allot of amps and this amp is top notch. Great cleans and incredible gains. The gains are rich and tight with allot of articulation in the strings. Check it out!!!
Orange TH100
Mesa Dual Rec Multi Watt
Mesa Royal Atlantic
Mesa Cabs
Gibson Guitars
Taylor Guitars
Maxon OD 808

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:39 pm

I can't get a good review of this thing set up the way I want and don't have anyone around here that has one in stock. The problem I have with the reviews I've seen on line is that they always have the amp scooped on the shape knob. They may bump the mids for a second just to show you but they don't leave it there long enough to really hear what it can do. I know that most use this amp as a high gain monster and the scoop sound is "in" but I would love to hear a recording of this thing with the shape knob over on the bumped side with humbuckers for a while. The scooped thing sounds good in the bedroom and maybe even at a practice (not for me) but in a recording it sounds washed out and colorless with an unreasonable harshness IMO.

Does the high-end harshness go away when you roll it over to the other side like the DA terror?

Legend

Post by Legend » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:54 pm

This video below should give you a good idea of the tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Akwf5sLk-o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange TH100
Mesa Dual Rec Multi Watt
Mesa Royal Atlantic
Mesa Cabs
Gibson Guitars
Taylor Guitars
Maxon OD 808

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Legend wrote:This video below should give you a good idea of the tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Akwf5sLk-o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that sounds amazing! If I did not downtune for the heavies, I would get the th30! happy with my tv50 tho and the extra features.
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 am

everdrone wrote:
Legend wrote:This video below should give you a good idea of the tones.

that sounds amazing! If I did not downtune for the heavies, I would get the th30! happy with my tv50 tho and the extra features.
I would be looking at the TV50 if it was anywhere near my price range.
The end of that video is exactly what I wanted to hear. The one chord right before the lunacy begins. :D
Again most of the vid has the shape mostly on the scooped side of the middle (at least with humbuckers). What I want to hear is how it is set at the end with some rhythm work.

fitterhappier

Post by fitterhappier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 am

Here's the link to my TH30 vids. I had the shape between 11 and 12 for these recordings. It rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEhnF8NaMyQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 pm

fitterhappier wrote:Here's the link to my TH30 vids. I had the shape between 11 and 12 for these recordings. It rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEhnF8NaMyQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. Sounds great.