Tiny Terror VS. OR15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Psychonaut4

Tiny Terror VS. OR15

Post by Psychonaut4 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:16 pm

I currently own a TT and love it. But I'm thinking of adding another Orange amp to my collection. I'm wondering how the OR15 compares to The Tiny Terror? Tone, color, loudness, etc.... Thoughts? Or maybe I pick up a TH30. Thanks!

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Tiny Terror VS. OR15

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:39 pm

I have the OR15 and love it, the word is that it is similar to the rockerverb. I'm not sure i have not played a RV. It's a little tighter and more compressed than some orange amps. For example I had a rocker 30 for a while and it's quite a bit tighter than that, but it has the Orange sound to it for sure. I highly recommend, have not ever spent time with a TT but you will have more gain with the or. I never take the gain above 12 for my purposes. Not much hedroom but if you set the sin at 9 and crank the volume it gives a nice clean tone
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Psychonaut4

Post by Psychonaut4 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Interesting. I would still like to hear from someone who knows both. I'm really curious to know which amp " might" be loyder.

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Well keep in mind the TT has almost no headroom before it starts to break up. I haven't played an OR 15 but the TT starts to break up very quickly.

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:15 am

Psychonaut4 wrote:Interesting. I would still like to hear from someone who knows both. I'm really curious to know which amp " might" be loyder.
Hi Psychonaut - you might want to check out this recent thread:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dunno about louder... they're both loud amps - but my ears perceive the OR to be a very loud amp. Efficient speaker(s) will make a more noticeable difference.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

Psychonaut4

Post by Psychonaut4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to think a TH30 may be more up my alley as I'm looking for more headroom and loudness. By the way. In Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day video. What Orange amps are those? They look like TH30's. but I have read Jimmy Page was using AD30's?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:39 am

I'd consider stepping up to the TH30 if volume is going to be a major consideration. That's assuming you want something with a little different sound than the TT to give you some variety/versatility. The Dual Terror would be the obvious choice if you just want a louder version of the TT.

NickW

Post by NickW » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 am

Agree about running out of headroom with the TT

That's one reason why I moved on to the Dual Terror and loving it. It does loud clean really nicely, though appreciate 'loud' is a subjective term.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Psychonaut4 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to think a TH30 may be more up my alley as I'm looking for more headroom and loudness. By the way. In Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day video. What Orange amps are those? They look like TH30's. but I have read Jimmy Page was using AD30's?
Yep, you can play Zeppelin with an AD30. Page did... :D
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Offical confirmation. Main amp used was an AD30. Also present, AD50 and OR50 Custom Shop amps.
http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php ... ange-amps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, just found this...
Seems he then fed the AD30 through ENGL and Marshall stacks. :wink:
'Big Mick' Hughes, co-FOH mixer on the show (http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/jun08/articles/ledzeppelin.htm wrote: ...guitar and vocals were straightforward. Hughes placed three Audio-Technica AT2500 dual-capsule microphones in front of Page's rig, whose core was a 30W Orange head atop a 4 x 12 cabinet, and channeled into an Engel amplifier stack and some Marshall stacks. "Literally, all you do with Jimmy's sound is bring up the fader," says Hughes, marvelling at the thought. "His sound is just there. Just open his mic and add a touch of reverb."

And Robert Plant? "Just a standard Shure SM58 through an Avalon compressor and a touch of reverb from a TC6000, and hope when he swings it, it doesn't come too close to the overheads."
FWIW I'm an SM58 fan too! :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Psychonaut4

Post by Psychonaut4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Right I read that. But have you seen the video! Maybe what I'm seeing s the OR50's. they look an awful lot lime the TH30.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Psychonaut4 wrote:Right I read that. But have you seen the video! Maybe what I'm seeing s the OR50's. they look an awful lot lime the TH30.
Seen the video on a big screen in the cinema. Oh and a very small point: the TH30 wasn't out in '07, it is a much newer amp... :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Psychonaut4

Post by Psychonaut4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks Andy! Looks like I'm going with a TH30. Just found one on Craigslist with a 1x12 cab for $900.