Board index Orange Amplifiers Community Discussion so honeymoon over with micro terror

so honeymoon over with micro terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire


Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:27 pm
Mrjones2004x Orange Master

Posts: 1400
Location: Dunstable UK
So the buzz with p90's is annoying and it get pretty loud with a high volume. Usable at low level like tv volumes but anything above is horrible. Tried a few different sockets around the house and the same.
Just tried the headphone out. Oh dear absolute rubbish! Loads more gain too which is like a horrible thin buzzing. The worse headphone out I've heard ever!
Tried through a 112 cab with a v30 and was quite full sounding but obviously lacks tube warmth.
Overall I would say its great for tv level playing with the tone at noon and maybe at 11 but any other settings are really muffled or like a boss ds1 with gain maxed and the tone on full.

Didn't want to admit it but my cube absolutely kills this amp on any setting. The rock tone at low level is good bit otherwise I've lost interest. :(
Tone is everything

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:05 pm
Jondog Orange Master

Posts: 4866
Location: Ontario, Canada
Maybe the preamp tube is no good?
Image

Playing a Rocker 30

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:18 pm
Mrjones2004x Orange Master

Posts: 1400
Location: Dunstable UK
Swapped it with my spare jj and tried a microphonic one and all the same.
I haven't tried with humbuckers so I can't tell how noisy it would be. YouTube reviews don't mention any hissing but haven't seen one tested with p90s tho.
My guitar was practically silent with the bugera and also brilliant with the cube. I'm gonna double check the electrics to make sure as it don't cause much for a bad earth.
Tone is everything

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:11 pm
msmith4432 Orange Expert

Posts: 986
Location: Baton Rouge, La
yikes, thats a bummer. At least its just a little amp and you dont have a hudge amount of money tied into it, but then again if your not going to use it that money would be better in your pocket. The cube is pretty good for what it is, hard to beat it. I have one but my daughter punched holes in the speaker when she was little, so its basically useless at this point.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Avatar 2x12 G12-65s
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos
PRS 513

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:56 pm
Mrjones2004x Orange Master

Posts: 1400
Location: Dunstable UK
There's something special about the cube speaker because any external cab I plug into my modded cube it sounds worse. If I get time I might hook the micro terror to the cube speaker and see what it does. That speaker seems to add massive bass and fullness its strange
Tone is everything

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm
Thinline_slim Orange Master

Posts: 2347
Location: Colorado - USA
msmith4432 wrote:
yikes, thats a bummer. At least its just a little amp and you dont have a hudge amount of money tied into it, but then again if your not going to use it that money would be better in your pocket. The cube is pretty good for what it is, hard to beat it. I have one but my daughter punched holes in the speaker when she was little, so its basically useless at this point.

Just dust off those old Link Wray licks and crank it up. Should be perfect! :P



Sorry to read the MT isn't cutting the mustard. I'd still like to try one at some point.
Jake

OrangePaul wrote:
Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D


"One of the 400"

Image

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallaste ... eaker+Demo

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm
msmith4432 Orange Expert

Posts: 986
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Thinline_slim wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:
yikes, thats a bummer. At least its just a little amp and you dont have a hudge amount of money tied into it, but then again if your not going to use it that money would be better in your pocket. The cube is pretty good for what it is, hard to beat it. I have one but my daughter punched holes in the speaker when she was little, so its basically useless at this point.

Just dust off those old Link Wray licks and crank it up. Should be perfect! :P



Sorry to read the MT isn't cutting the mustard. I'd still like to try one at some point.



ha ha :D didnt think of that
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Avatar 2x12 G12-65s
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos
PRS 513

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 am
nedcronin Rocker

Posts: 167
Location: Rhode Island
Bummer man

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm
OrangePaul Orange Master

Posts: 2501
Location: UK
I'm sure I remember Ade saying the basic stock power pack for the MT isn't earthed...
I could be wrong.
Paul.

Image

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 pm
OrangePaul Orange Master

Posts: 2501
Location: UK
I found the video I was referring to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbMnlX5knY&feature=related

He mentions about using a laptop power supply for less noise and more headroom.
Some interesting stuff on the DIVO unit too...
Paul.

Image

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 am
Mrjones2004x Orange Master

Posts: 1400
Location: Dunstable UK
Cool I might try that tomorrow if I get time. Gotta pay my £18k house deposit and send of the contract first tho :)
Tone is everything

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:32 pm
Thinline_slim Orange Master

Posts: 2347
Location: Colorado - USA
Mrjones2004x wrote:
Cool I might try that tomorrow if I get time. Gotta pay my £18k house deposit and send of the contract first tho :)

I'm fairly certain that Maslow's first level in his hierarchy of needs was food, water, shelter, and gear. I'd say it's a push at that point being that they are equally important.





.... Yeah, that was a bit of a super nerd joke......
Jake

OrangePaul wrote:
Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D


"One of the 400"

Image

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallaste ... eaker+Demo

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:59 pm
OrangePaul Orange Master

Posts: 2501
Location: UK
Mrjones2004x wrote:
Cool I might try that tomorrow if I get time. Gotta pay my £18k house deposit and send of the contract first tho :)

If you do try it Mr Jones make sure the polarity is a match for the amp...

There maybe a bit of Leeway on the voltage but don't quote me on that :D
Paul.

Image

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:30 pm
Mrjones2004x Orange Master

Posts: 1400
Location: Dunstable UK
Tried a 19 volts supply and it worked ok but still with noise. Tested the guitar through my cube on rectum frier mode with max gain and volume and no hiss at all.
Tone is everything

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:35 am
Dollywitch Tiny Terror

Posts: 61
If you're used to the cube that's probably the problem. The cube probably has an internal noise gate as most modelling amps do. P90s are notoriously noisy. Try getting some kind of cheap noise gate pedal, like an ARTEC one.

Next

Return to Community Discussion