Rockerverb 100 Reverb feeback/ringing noise (audio clip)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Guitarfitz

Rockerverb 100 Reverb feeback/ringing noise (audio clip)

Post by Guitarfitz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAnUGLDl ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#Best to play this clip through headphones or decent computer speakers as it's not as noticeable with laptop speakers#

I've noticed an issue with the reverb on my Rockerverb 100 MKi where there is a slight feedback or low ringing noise that you can hear as the reverb trails off. You can hear it more on some notes and on others it's barely noticeable.

The tank is only a couple of months old, I bought a replacement as I didn't like the stock Ruby tank, and the noise could be heard with the old tank too. It's seems loudest when I play the 4th Fret on the G string (As I do in the clip).

The reverb tube is stock, 3 and a half years old but I switched it with the fx loop tube and it's the same.

Anyone know what's causing it? or does this just happen on all Rockerverbs?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockerverb 100 Reverb feeback/ringing noise (audio clip)

Post by a.hun » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Sounds normal enough to me on my headphones. It is just the reverb spring reverberating. They can resonate a bit more on some notes than others - nature of the beast.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:51 pm

When I had an RV100 i was getting loads of bad feedback thru the dirty channel and i replaced the valve for the Reverb and put in a JJ and it went away. my tech also thought the reverb tank was pretty small for the amp as well.

Does anyone else find that some of the bigger amps need more robust tubes? Like the Rocker30 can deal with EHX el34's fine but the RV100 doesnt like them at all and it doesnt really get on with cheap pre-amp tubes either?? maybe its my imagination but it seemed like that to me.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Maybe I'm just spending too much time testing how my amp sounds rather than song writing again, perhaps it's normal but from all the fender amp demos I've heard on youtube, and I've seen a ton, never seem to have this problem.

I've ordered a JJ tube to put in the reverb slot though to see if it makes a difference

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 pm

plug your footswitch into the reverb socket at the back of the amp and turn it off this will stop the prob hopefully for the time being until your new tube comes.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:29 pm

bfitz wrote:plug your footswitch into the reverb socket at the back of the amp and turn it off this will stop the prob hopefully for the time being until your new tube comes.
Well if I turn the reverb level down to 0 you can't hear it, it's only when I bring the reverb level up

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Well the new tube didn't change anything

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Guitarfitz wrote:Well the new tube didn't change anything
Um. Rockerverrrrb... :(

Sorry, not really useful... :oops:

I used to read a lot of comments, especially when it first came out, about the RV's reverb being a bit OTT. That was also my own impression to be honest. I'm not sure if it is best sorted with different valves, a different tank or what. I'm sure that there are threads on that but I'm at work and don't have my 'favourites' list here. Maybe worth a forum search or I'll have a look see on my own 'puter another time and see if I had noted any myself.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

when the mk1 first came out, i read something about the reverb cable having shielding issues
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

when the mk1 first came out, i read something about the reverb cable having shielding issues
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm

mr_william wrote:when the mk1 first came out, i read something about the reverb cable having shielding issues
But would that make this feedback noise only on certain notes?

At first I had the tank screwed so it was directly in contact with the amp case but now I'm using the rubber grommets that were supplied with it on each corner of the tank so it cushions the tank and suspends it from the amp. Before I did this I was getting feedback from the reverb whatever notes I was playing but now only when I play a 'b', 2nd fret on the 5th string or an octave higher 4th fret on the 3rd string

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:11 am

Some things are prone to sympatheticaly resonnate at certain frequencies - it's quite possible you tank likes the frequencies of those notes?

On a side note, I have a RV 50 MKI, the reverb is crazy - I love it.

On most things I play, it's rarely above 1 on the dial, anything above that is is more than reverb - to be used for sounds effects more than traditional reverb.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:16 am

Nothing in my favourites, but a quick search found these threads:

Tank swap:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valve swap:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Removing the driver valve! :shock:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know what reverb changes they made to the Mk.2?

Andy.

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:07 pm

a.hun wrote:Nothing in my favourites, but a quick search found these threads:

Tank swap:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valve swap:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Removing the driver valve! :shock:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know what reverb changes they made to the Mk.2?

Andy.
I have changed the tank, as the stock ruby one was awful

Plus I tried putting in a 12au7 a while back after seeing that topic before and I didn't like it, you could barely hear the reverb, accept on choppy chords where you stop abruptly.

And surely removing the reverb driver would give me no reverb at all????????

I'm leaning towards getting a spring reverb pedal now and not using the amp reverb.

With the MKii it's got an extra 12at7, so there's one for the drive and recovery of the reverb. Ade said it's more controllable and focused in a NAMM video I saw. Although I've heard from some people that it's barely any different, or worse than the MKi

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 am

I can testify that replacing the Ruby tank with the same spec'd Accutronics tank helped a lot on my MKII. The original tank sounds much more like an OTT hall reverb to me, I didn't like it at all.

Removing the reverb tube was discussed in a thread where the OP wasn't using the reverb at all but wanted to know if it wa safe to run the amp without it, which it is.

Listening to your youtube video, seems fine to me :?