Thunderverb 50 and pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Duppy03
Rocker

Thunderverb 50 and pedals

Post by Duppy03 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm

How does channel A of the Thunderverb react to pedals? My preference would be to set it to have a light over drive and kick in my Fuzz pedal from time to time.
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60
Fender Silverface Pro Reverb
Marshall 1960A cab with G12-65's

http://www.the13club.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://the13club.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

savage8190
Orange Master

Re: Thunderverb 50 and pedals

Post by savage8190 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 pm

If you like it sounding like pile of poop, then its great :).

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 pm

I haven't used a fuzz... but everything else I've used has worked out with a little tweaking.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:14 pm

it depends on the kind of fuzz i'd guess...

usually muff's prefer a clean amp. i think fuzz faces are less fussy - though theres lots of varients, it's also dependent on how you wanna use it.

i was looking at a you tube vid with rob chappers and the guy from way huge, talking about fuzz faces...

saying when eric johnson turns on his, you hear he put it on. when joe bonamassa turns on his, it's more subtle. it's more about the feel and compression it adds.

what i'm getting at is be more specific to the kind of fuzz and also how you wanna use it? if your thinking of dropping a lot of cash on it. try before you buy to cut down on the risk of dissapointment!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Hmmmm... not the best then. The Thunderverb sounds a bit fussy. I've got a Big Muff Rams Head clone which I love. When engaged I set it be full on, I use it as my weapon of mass destruction in Dinosaur Jr kind of way.

I'd be looking to buy second hand so it's a little trickier to try before I buy. I tested out a brand new one in my local music store the other week and I loved the tones I was getting out of it by just going straight in to the amp.

The Rocker 30's natural channel doesn't have any problems with taking pedals does it?
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60
Fender Silverface Pro Reverb
Marshall 1960A cab with G12-65's

http://www.the13club.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://the13club.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 pm

savage8190 wrote:If you like it sounding like pile of poop, then its great :).
Mind sharing the settings you were using that didn't work?

To the original poster:
I just gave this a shot with my Thunderverb 50, an Analogman Sun Lion (essentially a fuzz face clone), and a Strat with the samariam cobalt noiseless single-coils. Bridge pickup, channel A, all eq knobs at noon. Tried the gain around noon as well, assuming that's what was meant by "light overdrive". No hiss, sounded fine with the guitar volume at 10 or backed off to clean up the tone, and with no attenuator as well as with the volume maxed and the attenuator as a master volume. Can be a little biting (I'm more a Guild/Gibson than a Strat guy), but went suitably dark by rolling off tone at the guitar. Just for fun I tried it with the gain maxed, and I liked that sound best of all. Smoother than without the fuzz, surprisingly little hiss.

I wouldn't call the Thunderverbs 'fussy'. I've had trouble with pedals with Engls, and sold the amps. I used to be a pedals in front of Fender guy, and now I use all those same pedals and more in front of the TV 50 and 200, including the Sun Lion, MXR Distortion+, T-Rex Moeller, Digitech Hardwire TL-2, Boss HM-2, Seymour Duncan Mayhem, MXR Blue Box. The one thing I don't use is either of the Big Muffs I have (Bass Big Muff and the Tone Wicker one), or the Metal Muff, because to me they just don't sound all that different from the amp with the gain maxed. I'd take the fuzz pedal in question to the music shop, try it on the new one, and see how it sounds, but so far I've yet to find a pedal that doesn't work with the Thunderverbs. In fact, I bought the 50 because I liked how the 200 worked with my setup, and wanted the EL-34 version too.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Duppy03 wrote:The Rocker 30's natural channel doesn't have any problems with taking pedals does it?
i think it's awfully middy and therefore doesn't gel well with muff variants (among other things). so it's a good thing i don't really like muffs. but i don't play doom.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:07 am

if you need t-verb fuzz... channel B is your friend... gain at 3:00, shape at 2:00, maybe 3:00....doomy gloomy fuzzy goodness.

no pedal needed.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE