Orange TH30 + Digitech RP1000 ... I like it

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

JackoMBA
Orange Hero

Orange TH30 + Digitech RP1000 ... I like it

Post by JackoMBA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:38 pm

I probably had 30 pedals before I got my Peavey Vypyr 60. I loved having effects on board so much that I got rid of most of my pedals. It was quite liberating. So I sold my Mesa Boogie Mark V and most of the pedals and got some nice guitars instead. Some of you might think I'm crazy for going from Mark V to Vypyr, but I'm a basement warrior and have 0 regrets.

When I got my TH30 I found myself starting to look at different pedals and felt I was going to go that dark road again ... lusting for and buying a bunch of pedals.

I started looking for a multi effects unit and someone recommended the Digitech RP1000. I'm so happy I decided to get one. Using the 4 cable method, I have a wah in front, and can assign effects in front of the amp or in the loop. What I really love is that it doesn't color the tone at all when all effects are off.

Anyone else use a multi effects unit with their Orange?

Here's my current rig:

Amps: Orange TH30, Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier, Eleven Rack, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard LE (Manhattan Midnight blue), Greco white LP, Burny honeyburst LP, PRS Torero.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange TH30 + Digitech RP1000 ... I like it

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Is Orange cab an oversized 2x12 and where did you get it?

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 pm

That looks like a 4x12 to me, and based on the pic I would venture to say he must have done it himself... ;)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Nice gear! Personally, I'm not a fan of multi-effects proccessors. I had an RP100 or something which was fun to mess around on. I did just sell a Line 6 M9 that I liked to an extent and mainly used to guide myself to what pedals I want to buy. It was much better then the digitech. But when it boils down to it, for me a good stand-alone pedal sounds better then anything that is trying to copy it, especially if there is alot of buffering of the signal. But, if you like the sound you're getting...awesome!

JackoMBA
Orange Hero

Post by JackoMBA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

I like fact that it has a noise gate, a tuner, and an EQ. Since the TH30 only has a shape knob, the EQ lets me shape the tone even better. I saved a few presets with scooped mids, treble boost, etc. The noise gate really works well without sucking the tone out.

I built the cab during the last month. It looks a lot taller than wide, but it's likely because I used a wide angle lens. It's 29" wide x 31" tall. Here's a link to the build:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1500170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also built the white and black 2x12. I made the Boogie tag since I was using it with the Mesa Boogie Mark V head. The head on top of that is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It came in a combo, but I built the head enclosure and covered with croc. print leather. 8)
Amps: Orange TH30, Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier, Eleven Rack, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard LE (Manhattan Midnight blue), Greco white LP, Burny honeyburst LP, PRS Torero.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:09 pm

JackoMBA wrote:I like fact that it has a noise gate, a tuner, and an EQ. Since the TH30 only has a shape knob, the EQ lets me shape the tone even better. I saved a few presets with scooped mids, treble boost, etc. The noise gate really works well without sucking the tone out.

I built the cab during the last month. It looks a lot taller than wide, but it's likely because I used a wide angle lens. It's 29" wide x 31" tall. Here's a link to the build:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1500170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also built the white and black 2x12. I made the Boogie tag since I was using it with the Mesa Boogie Mark V head. The head on top of that is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It came in a combo, but I built the head enclosure and covered with croc. print leather. 8)
Nice work on the builds! I'vebecome very picky with my effect choices. Something like a multi-effects unit I've found I find one, maybe two things it's good at, and the rest is just for messing around. I found I get much better dynamics out of my guitar and amp using select pedals that are known for their quality.

JackoMBA
Orange Hero

Post by JackoMBA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Cool man. Just noticed that you're in Canada ... I'm in Moncton, NB.

What pedals are you looking at right now? Do you find that not having a loop is limiting for the stuff you play (looks like your amp is currently a Dual Terror)

I love the flexibility of digital. I have an Eleven Rack and even have electronic drums, lol.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:34 pm

JackoMBA wrote:Cool man. Just noticed that you're in Canada ... I'm in Moncton, NB.

What pedals are you looking at right now? Do you find that not having a loop is limiting for the stuff you play (looks like your amp is currently a Dual Terror)

I love the flexibility of digital. I have an Eleven Rack and even have electronic drums, lol.
Im in Southern Ontario. Don't find it limiting at all. When I had a Rockerverb, I ran my delay in the loop. But with my Dual Terror, I have the gain low enough it sounds great in the front. I use a BB Preamp pedal in front of the delay to push the amp into some real overdrive and distortion. I'm not missing the effects loop with this amp and the way I use it.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:13 am

I have used the line 6 pod xt quite extensively while gigging in a duo and was never happy with the sound, it just doesn't respond the way an amp does. I have also used a vox multi effects unit and was happier with it as it had the tube, but honestly still just doesn't quite cut the mustard.

With my rocker I just run the effects in front and it sounds great to me, I only use 4 pedals and one is a tuner so there isn't that much to colour the sound so to speak.

My father has used and owned a digitech multi effects pedal for quite some time now and it sounds great when he uses it. I have always heard good things about the digitechs.

and ultimately if you are happy with the tones and it does the trick for you that is ultimately what you want. :D

Love the two les pauls hanging on the wall
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:29 am

JackoMBA wrote:Cool man. Just noticed that you're in Canada ... I'm in Moncton, NB.
Small world, so am I!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror