Where to start

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

princepudding
Tiny Terror

Where to start

Post by princepudding » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 pm

I want to learn about the inner workings of the guitar. I was thinking about buying a really crappy guitar and taking the whole thing apart and installing new pick ups and bridge systems and stuff like that. One day I'd like to be able to build my own guitar completely. Is my idea of buying the cheap guitar and maybe a book a good place to start on my guitar tech work or not?

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Where to start

Post by OU818 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Sounds like a goo place to start. The best way to learn anything is by trial and error.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 am

i'd love to learn basic electronics, at least enough to build some basic pedal clones. it would be a dream of mine to build custom amps or clones or something, one day.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

mselego
Rocker

Post by mselego » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:42 am

Maybe just smash your own guitar to rush the matter..... :P

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:29 am

Excellent way to start is getting a cheap one.

I got loads of cheap ones from cash convertors so about £40-50 each time.
There is always aria strat copies in there and there pretty good for a starting block.

Strip it to bits, draw a wiring diagram by following the wires and carry on.

Have a practice doing fret dressing cos the ends are bound to be sharp on a budget guitar.

The world is your oyster after that.

The actual wood working skills to make a guitar from scratch is a new ball game!

I'd suggest woodwork night classes
Tone is everything

space-boy
Orange Expert

Post by space-boy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:15 pm

mselego wrote:Maybe just smash your own guitar to rush the matter..... :P
Billy Bragg once wisely said

"The temptation to take the precious things we have apart to see how they work must be resisted for they never fit together again"

So at least make it something you don't consider precious. That ideally means it says "stagg" or "squier" or something like that on the headstock.
It's wrong to wish on space hardware

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Maybe start with a Squier Classic Vibe Tele/Strat.

Those guitars are already pretty decent, so any upgrades to the pots, pickups, bridge etc will leave you with a really decent tele that would be ideal as a backup/recording guitar.

You can't go too far wrong with a tele and you could even simply remove the control plate and replace everything, so if you totally mess it up, you can just drop the old control plate in and have a working guitar.

If you buy something really cheap, you'll essentially be upgrading a potentially crap guitar.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Get a Classic Vibe strat or tele. Great place to start, and it's actually a worthwhile instrument.

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 pm

as everyone’s already said a cheap guitar is a good place to start, but learn some basic soldering skills, even if its just practising soldering wire together and when you are taking everything apart make sure you draw a diagram or some note to help you put it back together.
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

space-boy
Orange Expert

Post by space-boy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 am

Neiloler wrote:Get a Classic Vibe strat or tele. Great place to start, and it's actually a worthwhile instrument.
I'm thinking about getting myself one of those classic vibe '50s strats and start to play handy manny on it :lol:
It's wrong to wish on space hardware

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:09 am

Start off with Dan Erlewine's book.

It's easy to put an electric guitar together out of parts in a fairly poor way, and much more difficult to do a really good job of it. If you're interested in some of the luthier aspects of it, there might be some places near you doing workshop - it's hard work though, and not too many people end up doing it!

The guy who oversaw music at my old church trained as a violin and guitar maker, and he's made a couple of acoustic guitars now, good ones, but it's hard work. And to get to a stage where you'll be able to build something better than you buy, you've got to put some time into it.

For electrics, learning how to change pots & pickups etc is pretty achievable, and helpful to learn... start by learning how to solder... the only other thing you'll need to learn then is how to operate a screwdriver :)
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 pm

irish_admiral wrote:the only other thing you'll need to learn then is how to operate a screwdriver :)
Your stuffed if your left handed! you know how hard it is to find a good left handed screwdriver??? :roll:
Tone is everything

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:32 pm

space-boy wrote:
Neiloler wrote:Get a Classic Vibe strat or tele. Great place to start, and it's actually a worthwhile instrument.
I'm thinking about getting myself one of those classic vibe '50s strats and start to play handy manny on it :lol:
Haha, this made me lol. :)