Finally got my TH30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jojo68
Orange Master

Re: Finally got my TH30

Post by jojo68 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Glad you are liking the amp much better. I have yet to try one.

jpish0t
Tiny Terror

Post by jpish0t » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:54 pm

any tips on reducing the noise?
Thunder 30
Dual Terror
Fender hot rod deluxe
roger linn adrenalynn 3
maxon compressor
mxr: evh 90, micro chrous, 10 band eq, line driver, carbon copy, wah
fender black out telecaster, prs zach myers signature, esp dan jacobs signature, schecter hellraiser

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:57 pm

It was all in good nature, im not really offended. :lol:

The akai is still causing loads of noise, in/out of the loop, running off its own power supply helped a bit, im gunna try some different outlets around my room.

Im thinking i should invest in a noise supressor.

If its something to do with the amps grounding is there anything i can do about it?

^My initital suggestion is to get rid of the cheapy unlabed valves in the preamp/loop, and get a 12at7 for the PI. Id do it myself but im skint.

I heard the Shuguangs in the power amp are decent valves.
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

Jackson Dinky, Fender CIJ 62 RI Jag, Fender 92 MIM Standard Tele, Fender MIM '04 Stratocaster
+Too many pedals

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:19 pm

No orange amp should be noisy imo. Sometimes I've seen pedals react differently with different amps. If you plug straight into the amp and it's quiet , get rid of the pedal(s) that is the culprit. I don't use the loop on any of my amps and I get zero noise or hum. I do use a wah and 3 delay pedals,old EH phaser and a tuner all out front with no issues.I think personally that if you buy an orange amp and are using an effect to tighten up the amp or make your main tone more acceptable to you etc, it's the wrong amp. The effects should be there to color the tone in places, but not alter it so that it no longer has the characteristic orange tones. This is my opinion and I realise most people on the forum would disagree with me on it.

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:03 pm

I have a £500+ pedalboard that i quite enjoy, im not getting rid of it. :lol:

I'm not exactly using delay/phase/chorus/octave/vibe/trem/wah/fuzz effects to "improve the sound", a bit of OD is usefull for tightening it up when i want it, and the barber for when i want a more thrashy kinda sound, and the comp to fatten stuff up.

I like to shoegaze, and im sorry but "ditch your pedal" isnt really a usefull suggestion. :/

Whacked up a demo, its not like er, good but yeah, ill do a better one when i can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux0s8Aupaq8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

Jackson Dinky, Fender CIJ 62 RI Jag, Fender 92 MIM Standard Tele, Fender MIM '04 Stratocaster
+Too many pedals

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Watching it now, liking it so far because it's not only a 'saturated-tone-monster-distortion-chopping' video.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:20 am

beckyjc wrote:I have a £500+ pedalboard that i quite enjoy, im not getting rid of it. :lol:

I'm not exactly using delay/phase/chorus/octave/vibe/trem/wah/fuzz effects to "improve the sound", a bit of OD is usefull for tightening it up when i want it, and the barber for when i want a more thrashy kinda sound, and the comp to fatten stuff up.

I like to shoegaze, and im sorry but "ditch your pedal" isnt really a usefull suggestion. :/

Whacked up a demo, its not like er, good but yeah, ill do a better one when i can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux0s8Aupaq8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sure it's useful and troubleshooting 101. I use my pedals simularly btw. If the amp is quiet straight in I would plug one pedal in at a time until I found the noisy one. I would then try to find a different brand of that pedal that didn't make noise, but that's just me. I like a quiet rig. Great demo !!!

Alan
Orange Hero

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 am

Becky, is the nasty fizz caused by the camera mic or is that there in the room when you play?

Edit: also lol at the creepy dude trying to pick you up from the Youtube comments section :/ Hooray for the internets...

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:29 am

Alan wrote:Becky, is the nasty fizz caused by the camera mic or is that there in the room when you play?

Edit: also lol at the creepy dude trying to pick you up from the Youtube comments section :/ Hooray for the internets...
Where about do you mean, the higher gain settings are a little fizzy with the shape scooped, but the mic is quite cheapy which doesnt help.

It's you isnt it :lol:

Its a possibility ^^^But i cant really find any pedals that do what my headrush does.

Besides like the Strymon El Capistan, which is expensive, or the boss DD20/EHX hazari which i dont like so much...

I could just throw in a noise supressor, though i dunno if itd work with it since the noise is from the delay, and putting noise supressors after delay kills the trails...
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

+Too many pedals

Alan
Orange Hero

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:44 pm

beckyjc wrote:
Alan wrote:Becky, is the nasty fizz caused by the camera mic or is that there in the room when you play?

Where about do you mean, the higher gain settings are a little fizzy with the shape scooped, but the mic is quite cheapy which doesnt help.
There's a pretty high-pitched squawk in there - I'll try to isolate a bit later tonight to show what I mean.
beckyjc wrote: It's you isnt it :lol:
I'm a happily married man, and not quite sad enough to try flirting in Youtube comments sections! :lol:

ElectricWizard13

Post by ElectricWizard13 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:09 am

doomedfuzz wrote:Told ya so lol haha!

But nice that you threw out some Dragonaut in the test. Orange is marketing to the wrong type of heavy rock player.
I agree But im not worried i play the old school stuff and the only new stuff i dig is sludge. Its taking me forever to save up for this head though. It always something, I really liked the cleans also from the videos i heard.

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:35 am

get one of these

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGi ... ttery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for your noisy delay

I have the same problem with my Vox Time Machine. Sounds great by itself, but when it's powered by the same source as everything else, it gives me a nice high pitched whine that's irritating to say the least. Neil was saying something about the Virtual Batteries working well, and I'm looking to invest in one....

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for posting the vid.
According to what i heard, i think i prefer the Rocker 30.
That felt just right in the first place anyway. Though i really love the OR50....
But that one's too expensive and i promised myself to never haul halfstacks anymore....

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:18 am

^Yeah the thunder and rocker cater to completely different people.

^I'm running the pedal off its own isolated power supply atm. Though i have a feeling its not getting fed enough current from the 100mA adapter...

Im pretty certain now the nosie issues are a power thing. Sticking all my pedals in bypass and unplugging the power supply is getting rid of the noise. The power supply is a bit, er dangerous looking anyway, its only a cheapy one from Asda, i really dont wanna invest in an isolated power brick. :( It isnt worth it for home jamming. One spot?
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

+Too many pedals

ElectricWizard13

Post by ElectricWizard13 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

beckyjc wrote:^Yeah the thunder and rocker cater to completely different people.

^I'm running the pedal off its own isolated power supply atm. Though i have a feeling its not getting fed enough current from the 100mA adapter...

Im pretty certain now the nosie issues are a power thing. Sticking all my pedals in bypass and unplugging the power supply is getting rid of the noise. The power supply is a bit, er dangerous looking anyway, its only a cheapy one from Asda, i really dont wanna invest in an isolated power brick. :( It isnt worth it for home jamming. One spot?
I had a Devi Ever Shoegazer that no matter what i did,Made my Vox noisey so idk?
I just took it off the board and plug it in when i need it.