Rockerverb 50 MkII

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ben_allison
Tiny Terror

Rockerverb 50 MkII

Post by ben_allison » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:32 pm

So what's new?

Obviously the mid control and mv on the clean channel... it should have been there all along!

Anything else? Any tweaks made to the circuit? Any tonal differences?

Is the loop switchable?

CD9266
Orange Master

Re: Rockerverb 50 MkII

Post by CD9266 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Wait, what? There's a MkII of the RV50 out? I don't want a mid control on my clean channel and I don't want a "MV" on the clean channel. I like my RV50 perfectly the way it is.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Um, there is no MV on the clean channel - just the single channel volume (like before).

Greg

ben_allison
Tiny Terror

Post by ben_allison » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Ah. Yeah the pics I saw weren't so close up.

So beyond the mid knob, whatelse is different?

nmendoza
Tiny Terror

Post by nmendoza » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:41 pm

I hope that's not the only difference, in my opinion that's the single most useless "update" they could've made.

Things like:

Solo Boost/footswitchable 2nd master- incredibly easy to implement and also quite useful. Cost= $6 for an extra relay/potentiometer. You could even use a concentric pot to avoid cluttering the face plate.
Separate gain/master volume for clean channel
Lower impedance FX loop, possibly footswitchable?
Channel specific reverb controls... or a more traditional sounding reverb
Third channel.... (i know, I'm dreaming... but think about an AD-esque channel nestled between the two existing....)

Would have been far more interesting. I thought the clean channel was just fine before- want middy? turn down Treble/Bass, want scooped? turn them up. Not so difficult. New combos are hideous. I wonder if a closed back design required a front combo face plate as somebody else speculated?

I guess we'll see if they did anything different tonally or just slapped an extra knob on there and called it good.

TV30 could be a pretty cool addition though.

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 pm

im scratching my head at these new orange offerings...they don't seem to address any of the real shortcomings of their line and seem to actually just add new ones.

the RV wasn't broken...why fix it?
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 am

Man, you guys are reading my mind.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:27 am

apparently the reverb was changed some, and the effects loop was improved as well.

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comment ... x12-combo/

this applies to the RV100's too. I'm thinking it might be a good thing, as everyone seems to think the reverb is too much, and I've read some posts where people have had trouble with the effects loops on the 100's as well.

I think the mid knob makes sense on the clean channel, but I too would've rather had a good boost or even a switchable attenuator like on the thunderverbs. You could use those like a boost.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35 am

I thought the reverb circuit/tank and the effects loop were the main complaints with the RV, so it sounds like Orange focused on addressing only the major shortcomings of one of their most popular models. If they changed it too much and put two dozen mini toggles on it like a Mesa, everyone would complain that they ruined a great amp. Like I always say: "If it ain't broke a lot, don't fix it a lot". I don't really say that. But you could imagine what it would be like if I did.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:53 am

Randy Bass wrote:I thought the reverb circuit/tank and the effects loop were the main complaints with the RV, so it sounds like Orange focused on addressing only the major shortcomings of one of their most popular models. If they changed it too much and put two dozen mini toggles on it like a Mesa, everyone would complain that they ruined a great amp. Like I always say: "If it ain't broke a lot, don't fix it a lot". I don't really say that. But you could imagine what it would be like if I did.

I figure these changes will make the amps better. I am looking to buy a new RV100 or a TV200. With the new changes I'll look at the RV a little harder now, as I never liked the reverb on the old ones, and have heard a few complaints in this very forum about the effects loop/circuit being poor.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:52 am

I'm still open to the front face control layout. But the closeup to me looked good, the full combo shot... not so much.

I dunno what their doing... but the RV50H MKII wouldn't be something I'm against... As a previous RV50C owner, I think I'd be looking for a MKII over the original. That mid circuit might be exactly what I was missing from it.

Now this TV30.... its got me drooling.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Wired wrote:I'm still open to the front face control layout. But the closeup to me looked good, the full combo shot... not so much.

I dunno what their doing... but the RV50H MKII wouldn't be something I'm against... As a previous RV50C owner, I think I'd be looking for a MKII over the original. That mid circuit might be exactly what I was missing from it.

Now this TV30.... its got me drooling.

I'm not into the combos period, so the front layout means nothing to me. But, I love the heads, and the new mid control along with the supposed reverb and effects loop improvements definitely sound like a step up over the old amps. I would be after the RV100.

The Thunder 30 is really cool looking indeed, but I would rather it been 30 watts with an attenuator instead of switchable wattages like the tiny terrors. I haven't tried the thunderverbs, but according to the demos it sounds like the attenuator works really well, and better than a attenuator box on the outside of an amp.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

M1K3ROCK
Tiny Terror

Post by M1K3ROCK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:10 am

Personally I can't stand the look of the new RV combos...look like washing machines.

princepudding
Tiny Terror

Post by princepudding » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:46 am

what is the price point supposed to be on the combos? or did they not announce that yet.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:50 am

M1K3ROCK wrote:Personally I can't stand the look of the new RV combos...look like washing machines.

Yeah, I don't like the looks either. I don't know why they would spend the time/money to change the looks. It'll be interesting to see if they stay with this layout.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI