I've finally decided to take the plunge. I'm selling off my old gear, and I have got my choices narrowed down to a Rockerverb 100 or a Thunderverb 50.
I've played them both (as extensively as you can play them in a shop setting), and I'm pretty sure I'd have a blast with either. I heard a lot of talk about the Rockerverb (with good reason), and considerably less about the Thunderverb (probably because I don't know anyone personally who owns one).
So I figured, why not ask the experts?
I'll try to hit they high points that would affect the decision:
1) I've been playing JCM800's (mainly) for the past 8 or so years. That's pretty much my wheelhouse. I'm looking for more variety, but with a good, thick distortion base.
2) I mainly play punk influenced rock... think Rocket from the Crypt, the Explosion, etc. Loud rock tone, lots of downstrokes.
3) I like my "cleans" to still be a little dirty. I prefer the sound of a vintage clean tone to a sterile one.
4) I have no intention of tuning down any lower than D.
5) I like being able to back off the gain a bit for more of an AC/DC sound at times.
6) I've been running 50 watt heads for years and have always had plenty of power/volume.
7) Our second guitarist is going to be using a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. I can dial it in to compliment the 800 pretty nicely, and I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into our overall tone. [I would say this is the least of my concerns. If I have to guilt him into buying an Orange, the more the merrier]
Until I can scrape some extra cash together, it looks like I'm going to be playing through my old Marshall cabs (one standard 1960 slant, one with the vintage 30s).
9) I've been playing SGs and an occasional LesPaul for the past few years, but I've got some older Fenders as well.
I know, I know.
Pretty demanding for a new member, huh?
But I would greatly appreciate any insight or direction you guys can provide.