Best new current production EL34 being made now

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi Simon,
While I totally agree with your prior assessment and your general position on this idea, I have to point out a bit of generalization. I don't buy into the cryo or the power cables thing either but here is why:
The power cables that I get and most all of them in the US are UL listed and are typically selected for use with the appliances that they are paired with or are even overkill as they are cheap and you can buy them from a warehouse/container load of the same type. So very few, oddball or crappy cords even exist for appliances that require grounded outlets; there simply is no demand for that. This means that they have certain design features such as a sufficient gauge and are twisted along their length to be self shielding and so reject some noise.

The Cryo bit I have already covered and I simply agree with you. In a nutshell, that is so minor a factor given the large variation of other factors possible, it's meaningless in this application. It's like lipstick on a pig.

I will have to say that it's not because the cords are not in the signal path that they don't matter. It's because they are properly or at least adequately designed for the application. Yes, they are not in the signal path but they do have the potential to effect the power supply. Most people have reported quite audible changes to the sound of amplifiers when the power supply is modified or when the signal is contaminated with RFI. Rectifer and capacitor varieties and values in the power supply can also change the sound of amplifiers. So such a broad statement as "They are not in the audio-circuit so cant affect tone." will not float across the pond ;- 0. I actually don't see where having a bit of added RF protection in using a foil and or semi-conductor shielded power cord would be a bad thing. That might make some difference in some situations, but certainly not in most. I think what we both object to is the claims of those who use a weird "99.999% copper, Teflon insulated, 10ga, solid core, etc, blah, blah" type of cord for $120 Vs one that has all the real niceties for $12. A lot of what is sold as better sounding is in fact just way overkill with no actual sonic benefit. Some of the power cords that I have seen in the high end audio market are even scary to me as that is not a place to be getting goofy with materials and design. Having your house burn down because you wanted to experiment with a DIY power cable is not a very wise choice.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
Its my opinion that its more physcological than anything else. I also do not belive there is tonal benfits from different power cables. They are not in the audio-circuit so cant affect tone.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I can understand your logic Simon, but they do, honestly. If you're ever in the North East give me a shout and I'll happily demonstrate! Power supplies aren't in the audio circuit either, but changes in the type of rectifier (valve/diode) affect tone...

Oops, beaten to it by the orangejuicer! ;)
John