Need some input...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Re: Need some input...

Post by Wendigo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 pm

I dunno Billy, I wouldn't sell them. Orange amps have a really punchy focused sound, but for me the Marshalls (old ones) have a certain charm too. Like getting hit in the face with an iron skillet...they have that mean "slap" if you know what I mean. :lol:

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Wendigo wrote: Marshalls (old ones) have a certain charm too. Like getting hit in the face with an iron skillet...they have that mean "slap" if you know what I mean. :lol:
I love that sound! :lol:
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 am

Moon wrote:
Wendigo wrote: Marshalls (old ones) have a certain charm too. Like getting hit in the face with an iron skillet...they have that mean "slap" if you know what I mean. :lol:
I love that sound! :lol:
It aint just a sound though, more a chest thump!
Wendigo was talking about the OLD Marshalls - the proper 'no messin' ones... :lol:
Moon wrote:If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!
Or... you've been there plenty often enough when you still thought much the same! :lol:

Difference with modern Marshalls is that they now 'cheat'. Instead of the chest thumping low mids they used to have (which Orange never really lost), they went for 'shave your ears' cutting upper mids. They cut through fine, (and are cheaper to make that way), but maybe they ain't quite so great for the ears and they just don't have the PUNCH of the old ones - no way!

Nobody called old 50 or 100W Plexi heads 'Harshalls'. (Well nobody with ANY hearing at all left that is.) If you've never played through something like that, (or vintage Orange, Hiwatt, Vox etc.), well you just ain't even been born yet! :shock:

The old Marshall cabs were great too. They really delivered on both volume and TONE. Difficult decision for Billy...

@ Billy, did you get a good deal on them in the first place? :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:10 pm

Pickup a pair of JMP heads to go with the cabs and use them!
Thunderverb 50

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:31 am

a.hun wrote:@ Billy, did you get a good deal on them in the first place? :wink:

Andy.
Well, it was 1978. I bought the two cabinets from Dave as well as the two Superleads he was selling: a 1972 and a 1974. All for $1850, which was a lotta dough back then.

I sold the two Superleads because they were just too loud, and after I got the JTM-45's in 1989 I realised that they sounded better than the Superleads. Sold one for $850, which was top dollar at the time, and the other one, the '72, which was the better sounding head, to a friend of mine for $450 - because he was a friend after all. He used it for years and beat the sh!t out of it (which really disturbed me to be honest - the whole cabinet fell apart at one point) and he ended up selling it to a friend of his for $1000 (about four years ago) so he made out OK. Except that he passed away a few months later...

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:14 pm

What would 1850 dollars from 78 be worth today. Probably double?

Did you get to try them yet Billy?
Paul.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Too many house projects right now before I dig them out...

Beexter

Post by Beexter » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:20 am

It's a toughy - I'm a hoarder too BUT, if you haven't used them in 20 years, there's a reason. Sell them and put the money towards something you will use.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Lease them out. The speakers get used, you retain ownership.

Cost of living is up 2.5 times since 1978, but there is wear and tear, but also a decreased supply of the cabinets that will impact the value of them.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:48 pm

i would say if you don't use them billy sell them to someone who will. i have no ill will towards collectors or hoarders (don't think you're either, just stating that) but i think people should use the stuff they own and if not, give/sell to someone who will. the more good gear on the stages of the world the better in my eyes. also it will hopefully help to tame inflation of vintage gear.
1969 Fender Jazz Bass
Former Pics Only OR120 Owner (hope to own one again soon!)